Tattoo removal- dermatologist recommended I come every 6 weeks. I was thinking of coming every 12 weeks. Thoughts? (Photo)

I'm getting a tattoo lightened for a coverup. My dermatologist said I can come every six weeks, but I worry that's too soon and may lead to scarring. 12 weeks seems more wise. Thoughts?

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. With the color and location of your tattoo I would suggest waiting every 8 weeks between treatments. Waiting 12 weeks will not harm or lessen the effect on the removal process though. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Laser Tattoo Removal -- Takes a series of treatments

Healing can be variable, so it's tough to give you a timeline. I recommend seeing a laser tattoo expert for a formal evaluation and following their guidelines. It will take a series of treatments. Best, Dr. Emer

Time between tattoo treatments

I don't think there are additional risks with 6 vs 12 weeks. I have seen a presentation that suggested the outcomes are similar at both these frequencies suggesting that for some people, fewer treatments gives the same results. It will take a couple years for resolution doing this method. With all the colors, make sure you have an experienced tattoo removal provider and they have access to a pico laser.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

​Patience is the Key to Laser Tattoo Removal

Thanks for your question.  You did not mention what kind of laser treatment you were considering.  We have treated several multi-color ink tattoos with great success.  We utilize a PicoSure with 755nm & 532nm for these ink colors. 

Patience is the key to any laser tattoo removal plan.  We tell every Pico tattoo removal patient to expect at least 6 treatments and don't be surprised if it is 10-12 or longer with thick tribal tattoos.  We see some patients twice a year and their tattoos seem to clear up to 6 months.  After using the PicoSure for 2 years, we have found it is best to wait 2-6 months between treatments.  There is a limit to how small the laser can break up the ink.  It's up to you and your body to take the ink away.  We encourage our patients to drink plenty of water, sweat it out and eat a healthy diet between treatments.

We recommend finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  You are trying to reverse permanent ink.  Good Luck and have patience!

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician

Tome between tattoo removal treatments.

Most people recommend 6-12 weeks between laser tattoo removal treatments.  There is no time that is "too long."  There is no reason that you can't wait 12 weeks, or even longer, between treatments.  In fact, if you wait 10-12 weeks, or more, you are likely to see further lightening of the tattoo between treatments.  If you pay per treatment, waiting a bit longer between treatments may result in the need for fewer treatments and therefore less cost.