CoolSculpting: back is very swollen w/bruises, but my arms don't have any bruising, are only numb to touch. Did it work?

My bra fat area is very swollen and bruised up, one side more than the other, and on my arms theres barley any bruising and swelling, but they are numb to touch, but no where near the pain in my back. Did the procedure work? Also how long for the swelling to go down? When would I see results, and if theres no bruising did it even work. Im really afraid of cool sculpt not working on my arms, and that was the real reason because my back fat is not too bad.

What happens after coosculpting

Bruising and some swelling can happen on any area of Coolsculpting, which is more from the suction used during treatment. This does not mean you will not have any results. Different areas can react differently depending on which applicator is used and how it is positioned on the body, as well as what amount of suction was used. These issues will resolve on their own, typically around 10 days after treatment. Results start to show as early as 2 weeks and will continue to improve up to 3 months.

Coolsculpting and Fat Removal and discomfort

For Coolsculpting to be effective it doesn't have to be uncomfortable or have pain or bruising.  The arms work differently than other parts of the body.  Please consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting

Bruising is not an indication of whether the coolsculpt treatment worked. The swelling can last a couple weeks and then by about 1 month you will start to see the results with Max results in 3 months. Different areas respond differently to the treatement; swelling is very common on the abdomen and less common on the thighs, arms and chin. 

CoolSculpting Expectations

It takes 1-3 months for you to see your optimal results. Bruising,swelling, and results vary from patient to patient. Just because there is no bruising doesn't mean the treatment didn't work. If this is your first treatment, you may notice you feel better in your clothes or  the area that was treated has less fat to grab.

Depending  on your expectations and the amount of fat you may need more than one session of CoolSculpting. These are all questions and concerns that you should discuss with your provider.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Not all treatment areas will bruise. The swelling should subside in 1-2 weeks. Results will take about 9-12 weeks to show. If you don't see any noticeable results, you may require a second treatment. If you are concerned, speak to your chosen provider. 

Regards

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting Bruises

CoolSculpting bruises have nothing to do with the results you will obtain. They are related to the amount of suction used, your particular susceptibility to bruising, whether you take aspirin, vitamin E, Fish oil, etc which increase the likelihood of bruising. Also certain areas like the flank and abdomen seem to bruise more frequently than others. Best wishes, Maurice Vick MD 

Maurice M. Vick, Jr., MD
Baton Rouge Urologist

Coolsculpting and Results

You do not need bruising and swelling for the results however the more swelling and inflammation you have typically does correspond for more improvement.  Best, DR. Ener

Bruising with CoolSculpt

It is possible to have bruising after CoolSculpt.  The area around your bra is usually more susceptible to that happening.  It is not necessary to have bruising to have a great result.  You should start to see reduction in about 2-4 months.  Usually having a second treatment will allow you the best results.  The numbing will start to subside in the next few weeks.  Hang in there!

Eric P. Bachelor, MD
Pleasanton Plastic Surgeon

Post CoolSculpting events

There is not a predictable post CoolSculpting seriesof events but the usual include some bruising(I call them CoolSculpt hickies), swelling and some tenderness which lasts for about 8-10 days.  You want to loosen that belt a notch and really don't want someone to tickle or touch in a treated area.   CoolSculpting does not affect nerves, so my suspicion of the numbness in your arms is that the pulling of the fat into the treatment cup probably tugged on nerves location in the armpit area and caused them to 'go to sleep'.  These will return to normal.   Lack of bruising or swelling does not indicate an inadequate treatment as long as there was a good pull of tissue into the treatment cup.  

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon