Would I qualify for liposuction?

I've tried everything to lose weight. I'm 5'1" and i weight 235 pounds. I cant seem to lose weight in my belly, back or thighs no matter how much i change my diet and exercise.

Liposuction and Weight Loss

Liposuction is not for weight loss and it will not help unless you have localized problem areas or are looking for contouring.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Candidate for liposuction for 5' 1" and 235 lbs ??

Unfortunately, liposuction is not a good solution for you at this point in time.  Once you've lost enough weight to bring you within 15-20 lbs of your ideal body weight, in the range of 105- 115 lbs, liposuction with the tumescent technique would be a a good solution for any areas of accumulated fat that have persisted to achieve a better contour.

There are a couple of possibilities to consider for the difficulty in losing weight.  One possible reason is that you have a metabolic syndrome, as seen with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. If you haven't already sought medical attention for the excess weight, I would recommend consultation with an internist or endocrinologist to rule out a metabolic syndrome and abnormal hormone levels, that can make it difficult to lose weight without medical treatment. Other conditions with imbalanced hormones can create the same problems. Bariatric surgery - such as a gastric bypass operation- may be an option if you get clearance from your doctor. Even if it turns out that you have an underlying medical problem, or undergo bariatric surgery, a balanced calorie-limited diet and exercise ( a trainer can help you make progress without injuries) are important to adopt into your lifestyle. Hope this helps answer your question. All the best! 

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Is 5'1" and 235 lbs. a candidate for liposuction?

Although losing weight can be difficult, you are not a candidate for liposuction.  Your BMI is over 40 and this qualifies you as morbidly obese.  You should see a bariatric surgeon about weight loss options before considering any body contouring.  Sorry, but liposuction is not for you.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Would I qualify for liposuction?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction and high BMI

Unfortunately with such a high BMI, I think it would not be wise to have liposuction.  Best to lose weight first. Good luck.

yes you could be for body contouring but not necessarily for weight loss.  You need to be seen for a consultation.  Thanks

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Would I qualify for liposuction

Liposuction is not weight loss surgery,   and not an option for someone that is significantly over weight.   I would see a bariatric surgeon in your area to help you with your weight loss.   Good Luck!

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Would I qualify for liposuction?

You have two options: weight loss (bariatric or diet) or liposuction. Weight loss (by whatever method) is the best answer to your ultimate goal. While liposuction is not designed for this purpose, it can be used to de-bulk troublesome areas in the high BMI patient who is not interested in, or is not a candidate for bariatric surgery. It can be safely done with light sedation and local . . . no general anesthesia needed as an outpatient. It may take two stages to cover the are of concern separated by one week's time. An in person consult would be needed to see if you are a candidate. Thank you for your inquiry.

Joel Patrick Maier, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction is not a weight loss program

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, the answer is no.  Liposuction is not for patients who are significantly overweight.  You should seek professional help with your diet and exercise program to make sure that you are following the right guidelines.  At this time, surgery is not the answer. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction for weight loss?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am so sorry losing weight is hard but liposuction will only disappoint you.
  • You are heavy enough to qualify for bariatric surgery -
  • Ask your regular doctor to refer you to a bariatric surgeon for a consultation
  • In the meantime, count calories to no more than 1700 a day and exercise vigorously for an hour a day -
  • You should lose weight and if you don't, you'll be very fit for your bariatric surgery.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS