I am a male and I want breasts. Is it safe and will it work if I use a estrogen cream?

Is it safe and will it work if I use a ectrogen cream and apply it to my breast with they grow? and if so what other changes will take affect on me?

I am a male and I want breasts.

I have had the opportunity to work with several men interested in breast implants ( to feminize the chest wall).  This is a different situation from trans gender patients in transition and from men who are looking to augment their chest walls ( pectoralis implants).

Nevertheless, this subset of patients is somewhat uncommon;  it is very important to  understand patient motivation clearly and to educate  these patients about the long-term effects of having  feminized chest walls.

Estrogen cream for increasing size

No OTC medicine increases breast size in Men ! Stay away from supplements that claim that they can do this- it is a scam. If it worked it would have been tested and FDA approved for this usage. The only medicine that might work would be for male breast enlargement caused by an endocrine disorder. You would need to see an endocrinologist for a work up if this involves you.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

No and no.

Topical estrogens are prescription medications that should be supervised by an expert in transgender patients. Over-the-counter estrogens are not safe for self-administration, and can cause other changes besides (minimal) breast growth, such as fat distribution changes, muscle reduction, skin changes, and adult acne. Testosterone suppression should also be part of the M-F transition process, as well as other surgical considerations.

Your question stated that you are a male, for which breast implants are an option for appropriate patients. But if you are just starting your transition as part of the M-F process, there is much more than breast size to consider.

Even on proper hormone therapy, most patients will see no more than 1/2 to 1 1/2 bra cup size increase, which is usually inadequate for the usually taller, larger previously-male anatomy. Breast implants provide the best, softest, and most natural breast enhancement for all patients, not just transgender patients, some of whom may require tissue expanders and subsequent implants.

If you are just starting the transgender process, seek professional help. This is an arduous but ultimately rewarding process that is much more than just "growing" breasts. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Estrogen for Male Breast Development

Dear drfs46,

Estrogen hormone therapy can produce a variety of effects in men including a limited amount of breast development and subcutaneous fat redistribution.

Estrogen hormone therapy can offer significant benefits but also carries risks. Medical supervision of hormone therapy is extremely important, and self administration is very dangerous. 

For men seeking full breast development, breast augmentation is also typically needed.

Please see an experienced Hormone Replacement physician and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with trans experience to discuss your concerns.

Warmest wishes,
Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Estrogen cream will not enlarge your breasts. You can however, seek surgical options such as breast augmentation. Best of luck.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Transgender Breast Enhancement

Estrogen cream will not enlarge your chest enough to produce breasts. The safety of the estrogen cream is questionable as well. Please discuss with your family physician before starting. If you have undergone appropriate counseling on transgender changes there is no reason why you shouldn't have a traditional breast augmentation to achieve your goals.

Best

David Shifrin, MD