Buried penis liposuction; is this type of procedure covered by insurance?

I'm curious about getting help with a buried penis. I've always had a fat pad. While I'm working on my body, that area doesn't seem to respond to weight loss. Is this type of procedure covered by insurance?

Treatment of buried penis

Treatment of buried penis is often more than liposuction alone.  It may require pubic lift and/or liposuction, along with stabilization of the penile shaft skin and occasionally release of the suspensory ligaments of the penis.  These are not procedures commonly performed by most plastic surgeons.  You should be sure to ask your surgeon if he/she has experience in these matters.  You should direct insurance questions to your insurance company.  Insurance is a contract between you and the company.  As such, your benefits are outlined in the contract.  In general treatment of buried penis is considered cosmetic and not covered by most plans that I have seen.  If you are losing weight, you should try to reach your goal weight before you have surgery since things often change as you lose weight.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Dr derby

In general a cosmetic surgery is not covered by insurance. You can always try to contact them and hand over documents that maybe make them reconsider. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

Liposuction, a cosmetic procedure, is not covered by insurance. If continued weight loss does not provide results, I suggest seeking an expert for an in person consultation. VASER Hi definition liposuction can be performed to this area to provide fat removal and skin tightening. Sometimes skin surgery is needed so I suggest a formal consultation to determine what is best.  Best, Dr. Emer

Buried penis

There are surgical procedures to correct this problem, but not covered by insurance. The surgery will be most successful if your BMI is at 30 or less. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Surgery for Buried Penis

Unfortunately, insurance will not cover a liposuction procedure for this condition. I have seen patients who were post-bariatric surgery with excess skin the the pubic area with chronic rashes and irritation, but those cases are rare and the treatment was excision of the the excess skin and fat pad, which is a bit more rigorous than liposuction. Good luck with your weight loss program.

Liposuction for buried penis

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • I am so sorry you are troubled by this issue -
  • Insurance will not pay for liposuction for this or other issues.
  • If you are massively overweight, a gastric bypass will help more than any liposuction -
  • If not, try to lose weight on your own.
  • If weight loss if not possible, see a plastic surgeon to discuss whether liposuction and/or additional procedurees are likely to be helpful.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your penile issues.  Unfortunately insurance companies deem this type of operation to not be "medically necessary" and as a result they will not cover it.  I encourage you to continue weight loss through diet and exercise as often this improves symptoms before a more definitive skin removal procedure, such as a tummy tuck can be performed.  Hope this helps.