Vaginal piercing and day of surgery - What should I do?

I have a VCH (vaginal clit piercing) and I wanted to know if I can keep my ring in during surgery. If not would a plastic retainer be ok? I do not want to get it pierced again for obvious reasons lol

Piercing site care during surgery

Great question!  I find it best to remove your metal piercing after you are asleep and simply slip in an IV plastic catheter as a temporary stent.  Then immediately post op simply replace your devise.  Best wishes

Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - what about my vaginal piercing?

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.

Please exchange your piercing for a plastic spacer.
The cautery used during surgery can end up burning you around the vaginal piercing if it is metal.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Body Piercings Removal During Surgery

Thank you so much for your question!

I recommend all body piercings to be removed prior to surgery to avoid any complications with the surgical instruments where they use a electrocautery unit as it could cause an electrical arc and burn injury.

Piercings with surgery

No worries! Plastic retainer would be okay. Many plastic surgeons feel comfortable removing and replacing for you while you are asleep in the OR. 

Piercings and surgery

Hi Llightly

The concern with metal piercings is that during surgery, the use of an electrocautery unit (to seal bleeders) could cause an electrical arc and burn injury.

There is some variability in terms of what each hospital will allow.  It is best to either remove it or use a non-conducting space holder.  For sure, tell the doctor and hospital staff so that they can ensure that you have a safe experience.

All the best.

I would suggest exchanging your metal ring for plastic, and you should be fine. There is a very low risk of damage if you keep the metal ring in during surgery.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

The answer depends on the surgery. As long as the incisions are not near the piercing, there should be no problem. I know you will have some surgeons tell you all piercings need to be removed, but there is no evidence for that and in 3 decades of practice we have had no problem leaving piercings in place if out of the way of the surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

All body piercings need to be removed before surgery

All body piercings and metallic "body art" need to be removed before surgery. Most procedures involve electrocautery to coagulate blood vessels.  So, the patient's body is placed in an electrical circuit, any metal to metal contact can cause a significant burn at the site of piercing, plastic jewelry is fine.  Also, most body piercings carry significant bacteria and are at risk for increasing post operative infection.

Body piercing punctures (holes) do not close up after the jewelry is removed, so they can be removed before surgery and replaced after the procedure safely.  A plastic replacement is also acceptable.  If a wedding band or ear ring cannot be removed or replaced than it should be completely covered with tape or gauze to prevent it contacting with metal during the procedure.  If the body piercing is in the operative field, then it MUST be removed.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Remove Metal Piercing Before Surgery

Dear SlightlyEnhancedBeauty,

Any metal piercings along the body are removed before surgery because the cautery device could be conducted and burn that area. You can either replace it with a nonconductive plastic spacer or a spacer can be inserted after you are asleep at surgery. It would be preferable if you did it before surgery in case there was some issue getting it unclasped while you are asleep.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

A plastic or silicone spacer is usually acceptable. Your Plastic Surgeon will likely advise you to remove all metal piercings prior to surgery for your safety. Let them know of your concerns.

All the best