How long after a breast augmentation can I start running again?

I run 2-3 5k's per week, about how long after a breast augmentation can I start running again?

Running after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. You definitely want to follow your own surgeon's post-op activity instructions. This is a general guide I give to my patients:
1) No heavy lifting or strenuous activity for 6 weeks.
2) Resume walking at a leisurely pace right after surgery (e.g. 2 mph)
3) At 2 weeks, you can walk 2 miles at 2mph
4) At 3 weeks, you can walk 3 miles at 3mph
5) At 4 weeks, you can walk 4 miles at 4mph
6) At 5 weeks, you can jog 5 miles at 5mph
7) At 6 weeks, you can resume all activities, but listen to your body and use discomfort or tightness as a guide so you don't over do it.

Exercise

Although the recovery from breast augmentation is relatively benign and quick (most patients go back to a desk job in a matter of days after surgery), I do recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity (including running) for 3-4 weeks.   You need to give time for your incisions and surgical pockets to heal.  Its best to ask your PS about his/her specific recommendations.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Dr. Basu

Running after breast augmentation

I am asked this question all the time, but there isn't any scientific data to support an exact answer.  That being said, I typically suggest to my patients that they resume running 4-6 weeks after breast augmentation.  Many will wear two sports bras initially.  Start with shorter distances and see how you feel.  Of course, you need to discuss this with your surgeon to get his or her recommendations. Best of luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

An excellent and commonly asked question

Thank you for sharing your query,
The interesting thing to note is that there is no sound research to support answering your question, and yet it is a question I am asked all the time. My advice to patients is to avoid running for 6 weeks post-op, and then gradually reintroduce impact exercise over the subsequent 6 weeks. But no doubt your surgeon will have hi/her own protocol. I hope that helps.
James

James Southwell-Keely, MD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Running after augmentation

Thanks for your question. With an uncomplicated and straight forward augmentation I usually say 3-4 weeks with a good sports bra. Check with your surgeon though because there are exceptions. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

How long before I can start running after a breast augmentation?

Typically, after an uncomplicated procedure, I will allow may patients to start running 3-4 weeks after surgery. Initially, when you first start running, it may feel uncomfortable, so make sure that you wear a supportive sports bra.  However, I would definitely recommend that you talk to your surgeon because he or she may have a different recommendation based on your individual surgery and circumstances.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Depends on your healing

All patients heal differently. Generally it varies between 4-6 weeks.  It is never recommended to rush through healing after any surgery.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Running post op

Usually we ask patients to wait 4-6 weeks until the implants have dropped into appropriate the position, pain has subsided and the wounds healed.  Lower body exercises such as walking or biking may begin earlier, but running, more vigorous exercise or weight training usually at least a month.  Consult your surgeon for his/her specific input and concerns.

Rodney E. Schmelzer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Running after breast augmentation

Thanks for your inquiry.  If you were my patient I would let you start running at four weeks if everything has healed as planned.  Please discuss with  your doctor if your result is capable of taking the impact of running.  Good Luck. 

Exercise after breast augmentation

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, I typically recommend 3 weeks before increasing heart rate, 4 weeks before going to the gym. By then you should have a pretty good idea about what activities hurt. The size of the implants, quality of the skin and saline or silicone will also influence these time frames. As a general rule, if it still hurts, then don't do it. Your plastic surgeon would be the correct person to ask this question to since they are most familiar with you.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon