Will my lashes go back to normal after stopping latisse?

Please help. I stopped using latisse about two months ago and my eyelashes have shed like crazy. I originally got on latisse to help stop my lashes from falling out due to an acne medicaiton. Now they have gone from being so thick to super thin and there are a lot of gaps. I see a little bit a growth but not enough to fill the gaps. When will the shedding stop? Will my eyelashes ever go back to normal?

Hey Care15! Yes, your lashes will go back to normal.  It may take a few weeks but be patient.  They will return to how they were pre treatments.  Latisse is only a maintenance drug, meaning that it only works if/while using it.  Please use only as directed and follow all instructions in the packaging.  

Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Hello. Thanks for sharing your concerns. Yes your lashes will go back to normal. You should follow the directions as provided by Latisse to receive maximum results. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

LATISSE® is an FDA-approved treatment to grow eyelashes for people with inadequate or
not enough lashes.Important Safety Information. If you use/used prescription products for eye pressure problems, use LATISSE® under doctor care. May cause brown darkening of the colored part of the eye which is likely permanent. LATISSE® may cause eyelid skin darkening which may be reversible. Only apply at base of upper lashes.
DO NOT APPLY to lower lid. Hair may grow outside the treatment area. If you have eye problems/surgery, consult your doctor. Common side effects include itchy and red eyes. If discontinued, lashes gradually return to previous appearance.

John Frattellone, DMD
Red Bank Dentist

Latisse long-term

Latisse traps your lashes in the "grow phase" - so as long as you are applying it, they will keep growing (not forever.. they will stop eventually, but might be a bit too theatrical for most people). When Latisse is no longer applied, the lashes go back to their usual cycle of growth, shedding, rest, and re-growth. But many of the lashes that have been held in the grow phase for so long will now synch and all fall out together, instead of the natural unsynchronized pattern where lashes are in all different parts of the cycle so that one or two fall out at a time which is not noticed much. The best way to avoid this is to spread out the applications  every few days to once a week, rather than use it daily forever. Different people have different reactions and want different results for lash growth. The good news is that if you stop Latisse cold-turkey, no permanent damage has been done and eventually you will have growth as you did before.

Cinderella after stopping Latisse

Lashes will go back to a "normal" growth cycle after stopping Latisse. Latisse works by pushing all of the lashes in the resting phase into growth mode so once you stop, you return to normal --a lot like Cinderella. You don't mention why you stopped but it might be worthwhile to slow down your maintenance Latisse 1-3 times weekly to get the results you want.

Melissa Toyos, MD
Nashville Ophthalmologist

Latisse and Eyelash/Eyebrow Growth

The eyelashes go back to their normal growth/length after stopping. I suggest maintaining the results with few times weekly dose.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Eyelash shedding

I'd advise checking in with your dermatologist to figure this all out. There are a few reasons for eyelash loss. Acne medications. physical irritation, autoimmune conditions, are all on the list - so are some forms of dermatitis.Your story sounds like it needs careful review. Much of the time, the lashes do regrow after everything settles.