Is There an over the Counter Med I Can Take to Help Reduce Swelling After Filler Injections?

I had a combo of Radiesse for my jawline and mouth corners and restalyne for my lip lines. It's been almost 24 hours and I have been icing the area. But is there an over the counter med I can take to reduce the swelling? I read something about Zyrtec and Benedryl. Is that helpful?

Reduce Swelling

I encourage my patients to use ice compresses and sometimes an oral antihistamine like Benadryl for the first day or two.

Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after fillers

First and foremost, icing is the most important thing to do to decrease swelling after a dermal filler has been injected. However, many of my patients have had success with using both Arnica and Bromelain after the procedure.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tips to Reduce Swelling and Bruising After Fillers

Dr. Ebrahim recommends eating fresh papaya and pineapple 2 -3 days before the procedure.  Avoid Vitamin E, Multivitamins, Aspirin , Ginkgo Biloba.  She also recommends avoiding  alcohol the night before the fillers.

Arnica may be a good option to help prevent bruising and swelling .  Take 2 – 3 tablets twice a day for a couple of  days before the procedure.

Swelling is also a common side effect.   Using ice immediately post treatment is also advised.

Shehla Ebrahim, MD
Vancouver Physician

Tips to reduce swelling after lip injection

Swelling is a common side effect after lip injections, especially within the first 24 to 48 hours, and it will subside. It's good that you are icing. A homeopathic remedy such as Arnica, which is available at most drug stores, can be taken in oral form prior to an injection and can also be applied topically after. Elevated sleeping the first night is also recommended to reduce any swelling in the face and lips.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling After Dermal Fillers

Thank you for your question. Having swelling after injection is common and it can take up to 2 weeks to resolve. Taking Tylenol and icing the area will help reduce the swelling. If you are looking for a more homeopathic remedy than I recommend arnica or bromelain.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Swelling Post Filler Injection

Swelling will normally resolve over time on its own. No medication can significantly speed up the process. Some people will recommend homeopathic remedies such as arnica montana and/or bromelain which may or may not be helpful. Applying cold packs and head elevation may help as well. Definitely be careful when applying cold packs and do not apply them directly on the skin to avoid frost bite.

Steven H. Williams, MD

OTC remedies for swelling after Radiesse

Nothing works better than ice for the swelling after Radiesse.

At our pracitce, we do not recommend any other products or remedies. The swelling is temporary and products for swelling do not work well.

The swelling is based on the location of the area injected and injection technique. Also, Radiesse has hyaluronic acid which takes up water in the skin and contributes to the swelling.

Harry Goldin, MD
Skokie Dermatologist

Fillers may cause some swelling that might be reduced by Arnica montana

Benadryl and Zyrtec are antihistamines and not diuretics (or waterpills). Unless you have swelling produced by an allergic reaction related to the release of histamine, then antihistamines are not expected to reduce your swelling.  Minimize activity including avoiding bending over at the waist, straining, lifting heavy objects, do ice compresses and consider taking the herb, Arnica montana, which has been shown to reduce the possibility of swelling and bruising.  Some recommend bromelain as well.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane absorbs water

After 24 hours I wouldn’t be concerned with swelling.  Restylane absorbs water.  That means you’re going to have swelling just from the product working.  True tissue swelling can be improved with Benadryl and Zyrtec, as they tend to dry it up.  For more significant swelling, we recommend putting patients on an oral steroid (which is not over the counter).  In your situation, within 48 hours, I would try Benadryl.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

We use bromelain for swelling

Bromelain is a pineapple extract, benign, and does well for swelling as long as you take it on an empty stomach.  On a full stomach bromelain helps digestion.  Ice and bromelain are your best bets.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon