Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Cost
Doctor Answers 24
Shape your waistline and increase your bustline at the same time?
I presented my results of BodyJet harvested fat for fat grafting the breasts at the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery meeting held in Toronto in 2010. The bottom line is that fat grafting does work, but there are numerous issues you must be aware of. Only selected patients are candidates for this procedure. Our technique does not use the controversial stem cell enrichment technologies that might stimulate malignancy. We only use fat cell clusters in our grafting technique.
First and foremost, the absolute best results we had could only achieve about a one cup size enhancement with a single session. The average results were LESS than that, about a half cup size enhancement. In numbers, the average results showed that women who had about 250cc grafted per breast had about 125cc of 'permanent' enhancement (ie lasting at least a year post op) - in other words, about one half of the volume of tissue transferred survived as volume. Because of existing reports, we were aware that we could not safely add more than about 250cc of graft material in to a single breast at one session, so we stayed within those bounds. Repeated treatments (i.e. second sessions) could get us to a greater size enhancement. In our series, we did not have any serious complications, but other centers have reported fat necrosis, cysts, infection, microcalcification, as well as other problems from this procedure, indicating that relatively minor changes in the treatment can alter the outcome. This is a technique dependent procedure (i.e. exactly how the procedure is done makes a big difference in the outcome).
The initial fat graft procedure costs are about the same as breast augmentation surgery, but gives only about a half cup size enhancement on average. Because breast implants usually give one or two cup enhancement, overall fat grafting is more expensive comparing apples to apples. The bottom line: Fat grafting can enhance your bust line at this time, but only modestly. The techniques and methods used are still evolving, and evidence is being generated. We expect improved outcomes as the technologies evolve.
Fat Transfer to the Breast
Fat transfer breast augmentation costs
You might also like...
Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Cost
(1) breast augmentation(but only for certain volume change and desired shapes);
(2)as an adjunct to an implant(to reduce rippling, enhance a softer more natural feel and to achieve more perfect symmetry);
(3) and post subcutaneous mastectomy reconstruction(for similar reasons).
Fat grafting is also employed for symmetrization in cases of scoliosis, for a more youthful decollete, and finally, to create a natural and youthful cleavage.
Only so much fat can be successfully grafted at one time, therefore it may need to be repeated to achieve certain degrees of volume enhancement. Large volume augmentation done with large syringes can lead to oil cysts and calcification of the breast, sometimes requiring biopsy. This is why I have always used a 1cc syringe and have rarely if ever received a call from a mammographer about calcifications or cysts. My technique is more laborious and technique dependent but has stood the test of time, leading to successful graft take and clean mammographies.
Aesthetics are innate, one must recognize beauty and youthfulness when three dimensionally sculpting with fat. The breast, cleavage and decollete should be seen as one aesthetic unit, enhancing femininity and beauty.
The cost is dependent of the volume of fat grafted(in addition to ancillary procedures such as implants and breast lift for example) as well as the volume removed and processed and the number of donor sites. It can vary from $2500 to $12,000 for breast augmentation(including lipoplasty of the donor sites, leaving them sculpted as in a formal liposculpure.)
Hope this helps.
Fat transfer breast Augmentation
Silicone or saline implants still safer option based on more extensive research
1. only one cup size can be achieved
2. some of the re-injected fat calcifies, which could be mistaken for breast cancer on a mammogram.
3. you may develop oil cysts and tissue scarring
4. results can be unpredictable and require many sessions to achieve your desired results.
Currently, there is no research that proves fat transfer is safer than implants (silicone or saline).
Breast Augmentation or Fat Graft Pricing.
In looking at the a price quote for breast augmentation, you should consider many variables.
1. The Surgeon's Fee. This can vary widely depending on the experience and results and thus demand for that surgeon. This also sometimes depends on technique. For example, a sub-muscular placement of an implant is much faster and thus takes less work for the surgeon than a sub-fascial placement of the implant that takes twice as long.
2. The Implant. The breast implant price depends on using a saline, memory gel, or highly cohesive (gummybear) implants. Usually saline implants cost about $1,000 for a pair, memory gel $2,000, and highly cohesive $3,000. If fat is used instead of an implant, then usually a fat harvest charge is used instead of implant fee as liposuction supplies are used and the fat purified in a variety of methods.
3. Anesthesia. This can vary as well. If a board certified anesthesiologist is used then the price is higher. If a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) then the price is lower. It is even lower when a doctor just uses a non-certified anesthetist nurse, or just a medical assistant to push the anesthetic drugs (yes, this actually does happen).
4. Facility Fee. This can vary if the surgeon is using a certified surgery center or hospital vs. his non-certified office.
These four components make the total price, so it is best to break these down so the patient knows exactly what she is getting.
Realself has an average cost for each city.
Pablo Prichard, MD
Cost of fat ransfer
Depending upon your location, fat transfer to the breasts may cost less or similar to breast implants. The usual size increase with one transfer is between 1/2 cup to one cup on the average. The actual amount that can be transfer varies greatly amoung women, depending upon the size of your breast, what type of breast tissue you have, and how much fat you have available to transfer. If you are desiring a larger size, I would suggest using breast implants, or repeat the fat transfer in about 3 months. Most women do well with liposuction from the stomach, and skin does not need to be removed in most cases. For just fat transfer to the breast, only a small amount of fat needs to be removed from the stomach. However, if you desire, more liposuction can be done to the stomach, and that fat can be discarded.
Fat grafting as breast augmentation
Fat transfer to breast with lipomodeling
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.