Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Cost

How much does it cost to put fat from the stomach into the breasts & can you go up to any size you want? Once you do, do you need to remove skin after you do that in your stomach?

Shape your waistline and increase your bustline at the same time?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I presented my results of BodyJet harvested fat for fat grafting the breasts at the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery meeting held in Toronto in 2010.  The bottom line is that fat grafting does work, but there are numerous issues you must be aware of.  Only selected patients are candidates for this procedure.  Our technique does not use the controversial stem cell enrichment technologies that might stimulate malignancy.  We only use fat cell clusters in our grafting technique.

First and foremost, the absolute best results we had could only achieve about a one cup size enhancement with a single session.   The average results were LESS than that, about a half cup size enhancement.  In numbers, the average results showed that women who had about 250cc grafted per breast had about 125cc of 'permanent' enhancement (ie lasting at least a year post op) - in other words, about one half of the volume of tissue transferred survived as volume.  Because of existing reports, we were aware that we could not safely add more than about 250cc of graft material in to a single breast at one session, so we stayed within those bounds.   Repeated treatments (i.e. second sessions) could get us to a greater size enhancement.   In our series, we did not have any serious complications, but other centers have reported fat necrosis, cysts, infection, microcalcification, as well as other problems from this procedure, indicating that relatively minor changes in the treatment can alter the outcome.   This is a technique dependent procedure (i.e. exactly how the procedure is done makes a big difference in the outcome). 

The initial fat graft procedure costs are about the same as breast augmentation surgery, but gives only about a half cup size enhancement on average.  Because breast implants usually give one or two cup enhancement, overall fat grafting is more expensive comparing apples to apples.  The bottom line: Fat grafting can enhance your bust line at this time, but only modestly.  The techniques and methods used are still evolving, and evidence is being generated.  We expect improved outcomes as the technologies evolve.

Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Cost

Fat grafting is an excellent choice for:
(1) breast augmentation(but only for certain volume change and desired shapes);
(2)as an adjunct to an implant(to reduce rippling, enhance a softer more natural feel and to achieve more perfect symmetry);
(3) and post subcutaneous mastectomy reconstruction(for similar reasons).

Fat grafting is also employed for symmetrization in cases of scoliosis, for a more youthful decollete, and finally, to create a natural and youthful cleavage.

Only so much fat can be successfully grafted at one time, therefore it may need to be repeated to achieve certain degrees of volume enhancement. Large volume augmentation done with large syringes can lead to oil cysts and calcification of the breast, sometimes requiring biopsy. This is why I have always used a 1cc syringe and have rarely if ever received a call from a mammographer about calcifications or cysts. My technique is more laborious and technique dependent but has stood the test of time, leading to successful graft take and clean mammographies. 

Aesthetics are innate, one must recognize beauty and youthfulness when three dimensionally sculpting with fat. The breast,  cleavage and decollete should be seen as one aesthetic unit, enhancing femininity and beauty.

The cost is dependent of the volume of fat grafted(in addition to ancillary procedures such as implants and breast lift for example) as well as the volume removed and processed and the number of donor sites. It can vary from $2500 to $12,000 for breast augmentation(including  lipoplasty of the donor sites, leaving them sculpted as in a formal liposculpure.)

Hope this helps.

Fat transfer breast Augmentation

Fat transfer for breast augmentation is also called natural breast augmentation. Basically, we remove fat areas of fat excess and inject the fat to the breast area. Fat transfer to the breast does not give the same effect as breast implant. Most patients can expect about 1 size cup change. Sometimes, it may require multiple procedure as fat may sometimes be unpredictable. The good thing about multiple procedure is that you are loosing the unwanted fat from the abdomen, waistline or thighs. The average cost of fat transfer to the breast varies by location, surgeons experience etc, but is about $7999 to $9999 in the Atlanta area. This cost can increase as you add areas of liposuction. The most important decision is to find a real plastic surgeon with experience. Do your homework. Experienced plastic surgeons tend to charge consultation fee for evaluate you and give their opinion.

Fat Transfer to the Breast

The average cost is approx $9,999-12,999 for fat transfer to the breasts with the donor being the tummy, flanks, and love handles.  One session will typically increase your breast 1/2 cup to 1 cup.  A second session approx three months later will increase your breast size another 1/2 cup to 1 cup size.  

Silicone or saline implants still safer option based on more extensive research

Fat transfer may be natural and sound like a good idea, there are many problems with it:

1. only one cup size can be achieved
2. some of the re-injected fat calcifies, which could be mistaken for breast cancer on a mammogram.
3. you may develop oil cysts and tissue scarring
4. results can be unpredictable and require many sessions to achieve your desired results.

Currently, there is no research that proves fat transfer is safer than implants (silicone or saline).

Cost of fat ransfer

Depending upon your location, fat transfer to the breasts may cost less or similar to breast implants.  The usual size increase with one transfer is between 1/2 cup to one cup on the average.  The actual amount that can be transfer varies greatly amoung women, depending upon the size of your breast, what type of breast tissue you have, and how much fat you have available to transfer. If you are desiring a larger size, I would suggest using breast implants, or repeat the fat transfer in about 3 months.  Most women do well with liposuction from the stomach, and skin does not need to be removed in most cases.  For just fat transfer to the breast, only a small amount of fat needs to be removed from the stomach.  However, if you desire, more liposuction can be done to the stomach, and that fat can be discarded.

Fat transfer to breast with lipomodeling

Fat transfer to the breast is an effective procedure in select patients who desire a moderate increase in size with a natural "un-augmented" look.  We can achieve approximately one to two cup size increase depending on how glandular the tissue is and the elasticity of the skin without using BRAVA in one or two sessions.  This is also a very effective treatment for congenital tuberous breast deformities.  There are permanent mammographic changes to the breast which do not mimic cancer, and imaging is recommended by the same radiologist within 6 months of surgery and one year later for comparison.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has issued a statement that fat grafting to the breast is safe for women at this time.  The donor site has benefits as well with cosmetic liposuction and there are no long term maintenance issues that women have with implants (contracture, leakage, etc).  I build the liposuction cost into the fat grafting procedure and for one area of SAL with fat grafting to bilateral breasts surgeons fee is $4,000 USD at this time.

Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Cost

The technique of fat grafting is to remove the fat from somewhere in the body and inject it into the breasts to augment their size.  There are numerous parts and variations to this technique.  I don’t think the stomach area would be grossly affected depending on the amount of fat that is taken but the amount that lives is small. It would probably only amount to ½ cup  size increase at a time so multiple procedures would need to be done.  At this time I think the price is higher for the fat transfer to the breasts.

Breast Augmentation with Fat : costs

I'm offering this procedure to patients in conjunction with BRAVA pre-expansion. The total cost for the procedure, which includes the BRAVA device, is about $10,000. Most patients will require touch-up fat grafting procedures, and these are done at additional cost. From the patient's perspective, there is substantial time investment prior to surgery- the BRAVA device needs to be worn properly and consistently for 4 weeks prior to surgery. If you are not prepared for this substantial investment of time and money- then breast augmentation with an implant is the way to go.

Fat transfer for breast augmentation

Fat transfer cannot take you to any size you want.  You can only expect a modest enhancement with a fat transfer procedure.  Repeat procedures for more enhancement.  Also, don't expect to save any money.  If the procedure is done properly, it takes a lot longer than augmentation with an implant.  Any money saved by not using implants is spent with the longer O.R. and anesthesia time and surgeon's time.

I think fat transfer has a place in breast enhancement in very selected cases.  I do not see it making implants obsolete any time soon.

Lisa Lynn Sowder, M.D.