What Can I Do to Correct my Bite Misalignment? (photo)

My bottom teeth go off to the left. I would love to have my bite aligned properly. I am not sure what the best method for me is. Any help would be appreciated. See photos below.

Doctor Answers 5

Possible Invisalign Candidate

It is impossible to correctly examine or treatment plan a patient by looking at one picture of the teeth with the mouth slightly open. What I can tell you is that you should contact an orthodontist to be examined so that a proper diagnosis can be made. Most patients can benefit from using Invisalign to correct most any type of malocclusion so you will likely be very pleased to know that whatever dental issues you have, there is a very good possibility that you would be a good candidate for orthodontic tooth movement. Invisalign might very well be an excellent choice for you.

New York Orthodontist

Moving Your Midline Requires Space

The biggest thing I see is that your upper midline, the contact between your upper two front teeth, looks like it is off your left (the lower may also be a hair to your right), which is part of the misalignment you mentioned. The only way to correct the misalignment is to create space somewhere in your upper arch and move teeth into that space.

You can move teeth to make space, extract teeth to make space, or there may already be space present. Either way you need a consultation with your orthodontist to go over your options and identify problems you may not have noticed so far. You and your orthodontist will work out the best way to get you the smile you deserve.

Scott Frey, DDS
Allentown Orthodontist

Orthodontic Consult

You definitely need to go see an orthodontist. I wonder if you are missing on upper permanent tooth. You will have lost of options and yes it can be done. The pickier you are, make sure you find an orthodontist that listens to you and restates your primary objective back to you.

Jacqueline Demko, DDS, MSD
Chesterfield Orthodontist

Correcting a misaligned bite

In general, correcting a bite problem is best addressed by an orthodontist, a dentist who specializes in diagnosing and correcting bite problems.  From looking at your photos it's difficult to assess the problem.  I suggest you visit an orthodontist who is experienced using a variety of appliance systems (eg braces, Invisalign or other clear aligners) and see what is recommended.  You probably won't be charged for the initial visit and will get a wealth of information that should help you make an informed decision about what to do.

Brian Povolny, DDS, PhD
Seattle Orthodontist
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Visit an Orthodontist

It's hard to tell from the photos you supplied what the problem is with your bite.  My best recommendation is to visit a few orthodontists and get some opinions.  Most probably this is an orthodontic situation that can be treated with traditional braces or possibly clear aligner therapy.

Good Luck!

Gary Nack, DDS
Philadelphia Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.