How long after Breast Augmentation should I sleep elevated?

I am one week post op and I have been sleeping/sitting reclined for seven days... When can I sleep flat on my back? Will this effect my ps results?

Sleeping Elevated

Thank you for your question. It is very important to follow the instructions and guidelines provided by your board-certified surgeon. I recommend patients sleep upright for 2 weeks after breast augmentation, but your surgeon's recommendations may be slightly different. Best of luck with your recovery!

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for the inquiry about your breast augmentation healing.
Every surgeon does things differently. You should follow your surgeons post op instructions. If none were provided for you, you should call the surgeon's office and request these instructions.
Best Wishes.

Usually 1-2 weeks then on your back

Thank you for asking. You should check with your surgeon, as we all have slightly different routines.  I have patients sleep semi-upright for 1 week then on their back for 6 weeks with a support bra, and no
sleeping on your side for 6 weeks. 

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping elevated after breast augmentation

It is usually beneficial to sleep with your chest elevated for a week after surgery. The gravitational effect of this position helps reduce swelling. It is recommended after that that you sleep on your back for at least another 3 weeks to prevent unusual pressure on your breasts during the early healing phase.  Each surgeon has their own routine postoperative recommendations.  It is very important that you consult with your surgeon and follow those directions.  Good luck.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Sleep position

Thank you for your question and I agree with Dr Seckel but would check with my own surgeon for his recommendations

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Elevation of back during sleeping after breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question.  It is very important that you consult your own plastic surgeon for his or her specific advice.  Generally speaking I asked my patients to sleep elevated the first week and flat on their back for 3-5 weeks after that.

How long to sleep elevated?

Dear R.Oliver,
Thank you for your post.  You should talk to your plastic surgeon about this as I am not sure exactly what was done during the surgery.  In general, in my patients I only ask them to sleep elevated the first week, then on their back for another 5 weeks if possible.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Elevation after BAM

Best to ask your plastic surgeon about his/her recommendations as they are most familiar with your procedure.   I generally recommend elevation for a few days after surgery.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.