Can Coolsculpting Be Used on Fat Above the Knee?

Hey there - I am 5 foot 5 and weigh about 115 lbs. No matter how low my weight goes, I can never get rid of the fat located right above my knees. Can Coolsculpting be used on that part of the body effectively at this time?

Cool Sculpting that treat other areas

You would need to be seen a examined to see if the area could be treated.

Body reshaping can be performed with a cannula that removes fat via liposuction or with noninvasive technology like Cool Sculpting. With Cool Sculpting there is no cannula inserted into your body. All treatments are performed on the surface from the outside in using technology that freezes the fat. Don’t hesitate to give us a call in Austin regarding a Body Reshaping Consult at the Upper Room. On our Facebook Page there is an Interview I recently did with KVUE, a local news station in Austin, that was picked by affiliates around the United States, including Miami. During the Interview we discussed the technology of Cool Sculpting as well as it application process.

CoolSculpting on fat aboe the knee

CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool. Knees can be a challenge with any modality. CoolSculpting had been used in this area with good results. See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting recently came out with a new FDA approved applicator called CoolMini

CoolSculpting recently came out with a new FDA approved applicator called CoolMini that can effectively and safely be used to treat small areas of fat such as under the chin, the armpits, and yes, the knees. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist for an in-person evaluation to make sure that you are a good candidate and to come up with a custom treatment plan.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Coolsculpting for above knee fat

I have successfully treated the fatty region in the inner knee/thigh region.  As long as the tissue can be drawn into the applicator, you should be able to get some contouring in this region.  When the tissue is not pinchable, then I would recommend liposuction.

Coolsculpting Fat Above the Knee

The FDA has not approved coolsculpting to be used on the fat above the knee. To understand your options, consult with a board certified physician who can provide both surgical options and coolsculpting.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting at knees?

Unfortunately, the applicators that are utilized with the machine do not fit this area and therefore cannot treat the area above the knees. You may consider liposuction to the area, although it is more invasive. Your doctor should be able to advise you as to which alternative treatment would be recommended for your area of concern.

CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is FDA-cleared for the flanks (love handles) and abdomen and is proven to be a safe and effective treatment. Unfortunately, at this time it is not approved for fat above the knee. 

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Coolsculpting for fat around the knees

There currently is no applicator to treat the fat in the knees. Coolsculpting has two applicators for the inner and outer thighs to treat stubborn fat in these area.  If the problem is loose skin then Thermage may work well for you to tighten this area. Thermage would be the best non-surgical alternative since it treats the sagging skin through radio frequency heat and no pain and no down time. I hav seen patients get liposuction and the loose skin afterwards looks worse than the fat. I am currently having excellent results with my patients in this area with Thermage.

Fat above the knee and CoolSculpting

Currently there is no applicator that will fit that area well.  It is an area that liposuction has helped some and in others it can make more of a shelf if the skin sags further down after the fat removal.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Cool sculpting Knee Fat?

Whether you will be a good candidate for the cool sculpting  technology will depend on if the area of concern will fit into the suction “cup” of the cool sculpting machine. If so you may have a reasonable result ( 20% reduction) with the treatment.

Otherwise, you may be an excellent candidate for liposuction of that area.