Can Cool sculpting be used to reduce upper arm sagging fat -63 y.o.?

CoolSculpting at Arms

CoolSculpting can be done at the arms, but the treatment at the arms is considered off-label. It will reduce about 20-25% of the fat in the area, but unfortunately, it does not address any skin laxity. You should have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see what other options may be available to you to address your concerns.

CoolSculpting arms in a 63 year old

Zeltiq, the makers of CoolSculpt have released an applicator that can be used on the upper arms. We have seen good results with this applicator. Age is less of an issue than general health.  Every patient is different, so best to get a consult from a certified, experienced CoolSculpt office. It is a very nice non-surgical option, especially for those who cannot have post surgical downtime. We also do liposuction, and brachioplasty, (arm-lifts). There are benefits and downsides to each procedure. Best to see a board certified plastic surgeon who does these procedures and together you will make a plan that is right for you.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting for Arms

Coolsculpting is an excellent nonsurgical fat reduction procedure. However, the FDA has not approved coolsculpting for the arms, and the reports across the country have been extremely mixed. Until the results are better, the recommendation is to hold off on the arms.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Non-Invasive Arm Contouring

Coolsulpting can be used to treat upper arms to help reduce the amount of extra fat, it is not however a skin tightening treatment. A skin tightening treatment done on an area with excessive fat will not be as successful. In my office I prefer to use Liposonix for the arms. Liposonix uses High Intensity Focused Ultrasound to destruct the fat. I find that I can better contour areas like the arms or the inner thighs with the Liposonix technology. After the excess fat is removed then you can move on to a skin tightening treatment like Thermage. Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist regarding your treatment.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Can coolsculpting be used to reduce upper arm sagging fat?

If fatty tissue is the true cause of your saggy upper arms, coolsculpting may eliminate some of the fat by freezing the fat cells and inducing programmed cell death. Coolsculpting is FDA cleared for treatment of the abdomen and flanks, but there has been some success in treating the arms in the right patient. You would be best served by having a consultation and physical examination.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting has been used off-label to reduce fatty flapping upper arms

When skin has good elasticity, the upper arms can get good results with fat reduction both with liposuction and CoolSculpting (off-label) and the skin will shrink back into position. In some patients, a lack of elasticity can create a seemingly looser skin after either liposuction or CoolSculpting.
 In our NYC practice, ThermiRF, a relatively recently FDA-cleared device has shown promising results when done on the upper arms and face, neck and other body sites. It delivers controlled heat via radiofrequency, while monitoring internal temperature at the site of treatment and checking external skin temperature for safety. This heat tightens the connective tissue support of the skin, and induces new collagen growth below the epidermis to induce more tightening over three to six months after the procedure.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

It is possible to perform CoolSculpting as a treatment for sagging arms as an off-label use. CoolSculpting works by treating the fat as opposed to the skin, so it will not treat excess skin. 

Coolsculpting to Arms

I have had very nice results applying the safe CoolSculpting technology to fat of the arms.  You need an evaluation to look at the quality of the skin, but it is absolutely a potential option.  Good Luck!

Coolsculpting for arms

We have had nice results using Coolsculpting for the arms as an off label use.  The decision to have treatment in any area is individual.  Although it will likely shrink up the fat in the area your skin may not shrink.  A consultation in person is the best option to be sure what is best for you.

Can CoolSculpting be used to treat upper arm fat?

CoolSculpting can be used to treat upper arm fat, however, this would be considered an off-label use.  The treatment can reduce fat on the upper arm but it will not affect the skin. So, if there is also excess skin, this will not be improved with the CoolSculpting procedure.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon