I am scheduled for a mommy makeover. I have varicose veins that are bothersome. Am I at a higher risk for blood clots?

I am scheduled for a mommy makeover. I have varicose veins that are bothersome. Am I at a higher risk for blood clots? I am so worried that I will have something go wrong in recovery. Should I go through with the procedure? I'm scared of the worst. Any advice?

Varicose veins and DVT risk

Thanks for your posted question.  Varicose veins can affect your risk for blood clots, but your surgeon will take into consideration this and other factors that can affect this risk.  There are ways to decrease the risk of blood clots (called deep vein thrombosis), including garments placed on your legs to keep blood flowing while you are asleep, or medications that help prevent clots from forming.  Your surgeon will be the best source of advice since they know your full medical history.

Mommy makeover

Varicose veins are not in themselves an additional risk for blood clots. The decision on what venous thrombo embolic prophylaxis you one you need to make with your PS. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Risks and a Mommy Makeover

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Blood clot prevention

The question is, are your deep veins open at this point? Your surgeon can do a simple test to find out. Low molecular weight heparin and mechanical prophylaxis should make the surgery go safely for you. Good luck!

Vericose veins

Vericose veins may increase your risk of blood clot development, but there are interventions that can help minimize this risk.  Some common actions taken by surgeons to decrease risk are the use of compression stockings as well as a machine that intermittently compresses your calves during surgery.  Some surgeons may have you take medication to decrease risk.  Getting up and moving around after surgery will help decrease your risk, as will regular deep breathing exercises after the procedures.  Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  I think you'll find that the risk from the vericose veins is minimal. 

Camille Cash, MD

Varicose Veins and The Risk of Blood Clots

Thank you for your question. Generally speaking, having varicose veins does not increase your risk of developing blood clots. A family history of blood clotting disorders, or a close family member who has had a blood clot is more worrisome, in terms of you having an increased risk of developing a blood clot or DVT (deep venous thrombosis) after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will most likely take steps to prevent a blood clot from developing at the time of surgery, including using a device which compresses your lower legs during surgery, encouraging early walking after surgery, and if you have an increased risk of blood clots from prior personal experience or a close family member with a history of blood clots, he or she may recommend a short course of blood thinners after surgery. Hope this advice helps and good luck with your surgery! 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Talk to your plastic surgeon about risks with mommy makeover

Varicose veins may influence the risk of blood clots but there are ways to minimize it. This is something you should talk to your plastic surgeon about. 

Richard Baxter, MD