Is increased resting heart rate normal 2 weeks post mommy makeover?

I had mommy makeover performed on 11/15/16. This included breast reduction with lift, TT and liposuction. I am 39, 5'2" and approx 145lbs. My breast size was a 36G and was taken down to what should be a full D. I've noticed since surgery that my resting heart rate stays between 90-100. Prior to surgery, it was typically in the 70s. My recovery has been easy. No pain meds after 3 days and have already been driving again. Is the increased pulse due to body continuing to heal itself?

Healing After Mommy Makeover

Dear QueenBee0916,

Yes. That being said, it should be only a modest increase two weeks later, and your body is in a high metabolic rate right now trying to heal from the surgery. This should revert to normal after a couple more weeks.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Increased heart rate

Heart rates can fluctuate for many reasons.  It can be the result of the changes your body is experiencing as it heals, or it could be an indication of an issue.  Since there is a change, it is best to discuss it with your surgeon.  He/She is most familiar with the details of your surgery and how you've been progressing through recovery.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Elevated Heart Rate

Thank you for question. Elevated resting heart rate after surgery can be normal, especially as your body is recovering from the initial stress of surgery, however an elevated resting heart rate three weeks after surgery should be more fully evaluated.  

If you are having other symptoms, such as being short of breath after climbing stairs, any dizziness, or feeling light-headed after standing up, talk to your plastic surgeon.  

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Increased heart rate after surgery

Thanks for your inquiry.  Elevated heart rates after surgery can be normal or abnormal representing a problem. You need to be evaluated by your surgeon.  He/she could exam you and then decide if you need additional studies like labs, EKG, or radiographic imaging. Good Luck.  

Pulse still fat two weeks after mommy make over - is it normal?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Recovery from surgery does take time - it is normal for our pulse to be faster for a while because we are tired.
  • But if you have any other symptoms - e.g. short of breath, dizzy when you stand up - a blood count could be done to check for anemia.
  • Let your surgeon know about the faster heart rate as well -
  • By three weeks, it should be slowing down even if not back to normal.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS