Will medicaid cover if you have an ailment that you will benefit from after the surgery?

I'm still in pain almost everyday,I desperately need to lose my stomach. I cant even work out. It's pulling on my back. I know if I had Lipo or a tummy tuck it would make a world of difference. I had back surgery one year ago and it has helped a little but I still can't do much of any exercises.

Medicaid for liposuction and a tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and tummy tuck.

• I am sorry you have having such troubles.
  • Medicaid will not pay for cosmetic surgery such as liposuction and a tummy tuck.
  • Nor will they be likely to improve your pain or reduce your weight.
  • If you are overweight and carry the weight in your stomach, you need to lose that weight.
  • Either eating less and exercising more (swimming is often the best) or bariatric surgery to bypass your stomach to make you lose weight may be your best options.
  • Please discuss with your regular doctor.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Medicaid will not cover liposuction or a tummy tuck

Medicaid is a government subsidized program designed to cover medically necessary procedures in those who require financial assistance. It will not cover liposuction or tummy tucks, which are always considered elective cosmetic procedures. They will likely cover weight loss programs or physical therapy/pain injections/surgery for your back issues. 

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Without photographs to offer definite advice you may be a candidate for a panniculectomy. This procedure can be covered by insurance and involves the removal of any apron of skin and fat that is compromising your well-being and/or causing complications such as skin breakdown and infections.  See an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss. 

Medicaid

medicaid is government regulated healthcare coverage and will not cover elective surgery. Consider other financial options such as financing. 

DrBurnett#realself100