Pubic area pain and swelling 4.5 weeks post op tummy tuck.

I had a full tummy tuck on October 20th. I have been doing fantastic so far. The other day my scar flared up over my hip and I went to ER and was diagnosed with cellulitis. I was placed on IV ABX and feel so much better. My problem is now my pubic area is extremely swollen. It also feels as though maybe my pubic area is bruised right along the bones. It's very tender and I am confused as to why this is happening now. Any advice on how to get this swelling and pain gone is much appreciated.

Supra-pubic swelling after tummy tuck.

Only three things can cause swelling; blood, serum, or pus.  With prior treatment for cellulitis, you may have developed an abscess.  Please have this investigated and treated.  The antibiotics can only do so much if the space is not drained.  I hope you have been back  to see your surgeon.

You should see your surgeon ASAP

There are many reasons for having pain, and you should see your doctor as soon as possible for an examination. You could have a late seroma, or fluid collection that has become infected and can cause pain and swelling. This typically drains dependently and could pool in the suprapubic area. It would need to be drained with a needle and possibly an ultrasound. You could also develop an abscess if left for too long.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Emergence of pubic pain for weeks after abdominoplasty should be reported to your surgeon.

You don't provide enough information for a valuable opinion. If you had a previous infection in our developing swelling and pain in the pubic area it would be best to check with your surgeon.