Is It Possible to Combine Breast Lift, Thigh Lift & Tummy Tuck?

28 yr old female, with 3 children. I feel like I have a lot of excess skin in fat in my abdominal region. I am interested in a tummy tuck and inner thigh lift, as well as a breast lift. Is it possible to combine all 3 in my situation?

Break up multiple procedures into separate surgeries

Sabrina;

Thank you for your question. While it is possible to have all three procedures at once. Most surgeons would probably prefer to break them up into two separate surgeries. I would recommend the tummy tuck and breast lift in one procedure and do the thigh lift at a later time. Best wishes.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift / Thigh Lift / Tummy Tuck all together

Thank you for your question and photos.  I would recommend that you visit with board certified plastic surgeons who have experience with these specific procedures to discuss the procedures in detail. I would normally recommend that you break up the procedures into 2 stages for safety reasons. 

Combined procedures

It would be safer and preferable to have two different surgeries.  I would recommend the breast lift and tummy tuck in one session and the thigh lift at a later date.  This will make for more reasonable operative times, easier recovery  and less risk for more serious complications like infections or DVT (blood clots in the legs)

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Combining cosmetic surgery procedures

I many cases you can technically combine procedures.  However, there are several issues to be aware of.  First, how long will the surgery take.  Not only for your health(DVT etc) but also surgeon fatigue.  Second, a more difficult recovery.  If you have an abdominoplasty and thigh lift jointly, then you have more difficulty moving about as both your abdomen/core and your legs will be in discomfort.

I personally would not perform an abdominoplasty and thigh lift at the same time.

Steven S. Carp, MD
Akron Plastic Surgeon

Combining Multiple Procedures

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   
Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.The costs of a #Mommy Makeover will depend on several factors. Such include the geographic location, the skill and experience of the surgeon, and operating room and anesthesia fees.  Also, such #combined operations are often performed with our Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with Mommy Makeovers. Therefore, if you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your doctor. #Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  Most importantly, your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Tummy tuck, breast lift and thigh lift

Thank you for your question. A tummy tuck and breast lift are great procedures to combine as they address some of big changes that happen after pregnancy or weight changes. It is often referred to as a mommy makeover. It is a bigger procedure and may often require a night in the hospital. Adding a thigh lift may be too much to handle during the recovery period and may also add a lot of time/body stress to the actual surgery.  I would normally recommend separating the the thigh lift from the other two procedures.

I would consult with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options in more detail.

Thigh lift

The answer is yes, but I don't recommend combining too many procedures.  You could do the abdomen (body lift, in your case) and a breast augmentation, but hold on the thigh lift for a second procedure.  It will be safer.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Comnbined proceedures

Tummy tuck, breast lift and thigh lifts are often combined. The most important consideration is safety. After three hours the risks start to become real. Before that time the risk from anesthesia (minute per minute) is close to the risk taken driving at 55 miles per hour on any U.S. highway. If your surgeon is experienced enough to perform these surgeries in a pre-discussed pre-determined time frame then it's OK. If he or she can't, then staging them would be wiser. The key isn't speed, it's efficiency. I average one combined procedure a week, and my OR time is around 4 hours. So ask your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon how many of these combined procedure have you done, and how long will it take you to do it? Then decide whether to stage it or not.

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Combination Procedures

I have combined the procedures you mention before.  One issue that can arise with thigh lift is swelling in the upper thigh/groin area.  Its also more difficult to properly fit a garment comfortably.  However, you do not have a lot of excess thigh skin so this may be OK.

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS

Is it possible to do thigh lift, tummy tuck and breast lift at the same time?

Combining surgical procedures increases surgical and anesthetic risks.  Bleeding, fluid and electrolyte imbalance, risk of blood clots, pain and limitations of ambulation are all concerns with doing too much surgery during one setting.  Although the operative time can be decreased with two surgical teams, the risks for multiple major surgeries are still present.  Healing is also more difficult so your recovery time would be significantly lengthened.  Be very careful about this decision.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon