Would thumb sucking after Juvederm lip fillers hurt the result?

I have been a thumb sucker ever since I was a toddler. I have been fortunate so far that it has not caused any dental issues. I have been considering lip fillers for a while now, but I am concerned that if I started sucking my thumb in my sleep or cannot stop it will hurt the results of the fillers. Would this be something to be concerned about?

Thumb sucking and filler

For 24-48 hrs it will be preferable to refrain from the thumb sucker. You might have swelling, pain , bruising after the fillers which could cause more discomfort if thumb sucking .

Montreal Dermatologist

Try your best to avoid it for a few days

Good afternoon,

It shouldn't have any lasting negative effects but you should try your best not to do it for the first week to avoid agitating the treated area.

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Lip Filler

Thank you for your question.  I would suggest that you do your best to avoid thumb sucking for several days after treatment.  Even if you inadvertently sucked your thumb while sleeping, this shouldn't preclude you from undergoing the procedure.  Please be sure to see an expert injector for an in-person consultation to fully discuss your concern and your goals and expectations in order to determine the best treatment plan.  Hope this helps and best wishes! 

Thumb sucking and Juvederm lip injections

Sucking your thumb shouldn't cause any negative effects on the lip filler. It might cause some temporary swelling more than usual. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Lip injections

At least for the first few days after the product injection it would be best to refrain.  In addition to it being helpful to avoid movement of the product, you will likely also be swollen and bruised which could be uncomfortable for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Would thumb sucking after JVD lip fillers hurt the result?

Thank you for sharing your question.  If you were to pursue a thinner product placement into your lips, such as Volbella,  would advise trying to refrain from thumb sucking for at least a day or two to avoid displacement.  If using a thicker gel, such as Juvederm Ultra Plus, I would allow yourself at least a day.  Hope this helps.