Is it OK to sleep on my side 11 days after tummy tuck?

I had a tummy tuck feb 4th I stayed on my back until the 15th with pillows under my knees in the v position will I hurt anything if I sleep on my side? My drain has been removed and I have not taken any pain meds since the 4th day after surgery.

Post op side sleeping

At 11 days post op, you should be fine, but check with your surgeon since we all have our own unique post op protocol.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Thank you for your question.  At 11 days you should be fine to sleep on your side and i would recommend having a body pillow or equivalent for your comfort. It will be best to stay in the fetal position to maintain pressure off of your incision, but clear the position change with your surgeon as they know your current stage of healing best. 

Sleeping on your side post TT

You  should be fine.Maybe wear a girdle or binder to give you some additional support.And when you roll over do it gently.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

you need to ask your BCPS. it depends on numerous issues that only the surgeon would know from the day of your surgery.

Sleeping position after Tummy Tuck

I cannot imagine where this would be a problem.  Positioning after a tummy tuck has more to do with maintaining some flexion at the hips to avoid undue tension on the healing wound.  If you keep this flexion, then side-sleeping shouldn't be an issue.  I would suggest spending equal amounts of time on each side.  Only sleeping on one side can result in some asymmetric swelling altering the appearance of your abdomen during the healing phase.  

All that said, you'e surgeon may have done something specifically different in your case that would make him or her request that you remain on your back when sleeping.  I think if he or she asked that you not lay on your side, you should follow that guidance until you are cleared to do otherwise.  So, please ask the opinion of your operating surgeon before making changes.  Best of luck in your tummy tuck recovery.

Sleeping after tummy tuck

Please follow the instructions provided by your surgeon. Every plastic surgeon will have different instructions.

German Newall, MD

Thank you for your question. It's best to follow the recommendations for post-op care that your surgeon has given you .Having said that, I generally allow my patients to sleep on their side, with pillows supporting them, .once drains are removed.  Best wishes. 

Jeanette Padgett, MD, FACS
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Sleep position after tummy tuck

Every plastic surgeon is slightly different when it comes to postoperative position protocols. My protocol is to sleep on the back for 6 weeks as much as possible. Propping up one side slightly with pillows is acceptable. My advice is to ask your plastic surgeon regarding his or her recommendations.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after tummy tuck

Congratulations on your tummy tuck.
If you are able to stand-up straight, you should be able to sleep on your side.
Since each plastic surgeon can have different surgical and post-surgical protocol, please check with your plastic surgeon for his/her clearance.
Good luck with your continued recovery.

Tummy tuck and lying on side

My general rule is that after the drains are removed my patients may lie on their sides provided they do not feel much discomfort.

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon