I'm getting a Brazilian Butt Lift in two weeks, my doctor doesn't use compression socks, are they necessary?

In theory it wouldn't make a difference if we're talking about fat embolism, but...

Thanks for your question. 

The truth is that embolism caused by fat injection (fat embolism), in theory, could not have been avoided by the use of compression stockings. Pulmonary embolism in this case would happen because some of the fat goes into a vessel, and up to the lungs, causing an obstruction in the blood oxygenation system which could rapidly become a catastrophic situation. 

The compression stocking are mainly to avoid thromboembolism, which happens when blood "pooling" in your lower legs (caused by inactivity like lying down in an surgery table, sitting for long hours without standing up, etc.) turn into blood clods, which can easily break into your blood supply and, up to the lungs (causing the same situation explained above). 

This said, I like to use every single option available to prevent embolism with every single one of my patients, which include the compression stockings, pneumatic compression machine (during surgery and 6 hours after surgery), low molecular weight heparin (med used for high thromboembolism risk patients), and the most important of them all, try to get the patient to stand up and walk as soon as possible. 

Hope this clears your mind. Any other doubt, do not hesitate to contact me.

Dr. Fernandez Goico

Compression socks for BBL

Some surgeons use other methods to minimize the risk of clots in the legs. This can include venodynes on the legs which pump the calves during surgery.

Brazilian butt lift and compression socks

hello. thanks for the question, very interesting. Compression socks helps to  reduce the risk of deep vein thrombosis. each surgeon has their preferences for the prevention of this.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Hi. The reason for the "compression socks" is to minimize the chances of a pulmonary embolism. At our institute we use these antiembolic stockings and in addition use SCDs or sequential compression devices. These are pneumatic boots that will compress your calf every so often to increase the circulation of your legs and thereby minimize the chances of a blood clot forming. We all have our own way of dealing with preventative maintenance for pulmonary embolisms. Ask your surgeon what his protocol is. Good luck

Compression/TED stockings are important!

Use of compression stockings is important during surgery. It is one of the primary measures to prevent blood clot/DVT.  

Compression sock and buttock fat grafting

Thanks for your excellent question.  For an answer specific to your case, please discuss this with your surgeon.

A patient's risk for complications due to blood clots and embolism should be calculated pre-operatively. And, the available preventative measures should be discussed.

In my practice all of our patients get compression stockings and intermittent pneumatic compressions devices while in surgery.

Timothy Connall, MD