Reducing Juvederm Swelling with Cold Compress?

Do cold compresses help reduce swelling? How long and how often? I had Juvederm yesterday and my upper lip and the left side of my face are swollen. I was planning to return to work tomorrow. How can I reduce the swelling?

Reducing Juvederm swelling

Cold compresses can help reduce swelling over the first 24 hours following your procedure. I recommend intermittent application of cold compresses (do not apply ice directly, rather use a washcloth rinsed in ice-water, 5 minutes every half-hour, as tolerated). Benadryl or if you prefer a nonsedating antihistamine, Zyrtec can help. If you have bruising in addition to swelling, Arnica pills and topical gel may help.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Cold compresses are fine to use after Juvederm, but time will be of the greatest benefit

Thanks for your question.

It is common to have swelling with Juvederm injections for 2-4 days after the procedure. Common ways to reduce this swelling is with ice packs, and if you wait at least 1 day later, you can actually take advil/motrin/ibuprofen.

Avoid taking ibuprofen immediately after your procedure because it can cause brusing, but after one full day, you shouldn't have any problem using it.

Other than those two methods, time will be your best friend in your fight against the Juvederm swelling. By day 4, you should notice a dramatic reduction in your swelling and should do fine.

Some people actually have swelling up to 7 days, so don't be too worried if it's still a little "puffy." All of this will settle down.

Good luck!

Don Mehrabi, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Swelling and Cold Compress

Swelling is one of the most common side effects of undergoing Juvederm injection. At times, it may even last for 2 to 4 days after you have had your injection.

And yes, you can reduce the swelling with cold compress or an ice pack. You can place the cold compress, on and off, for about 15 minutes. This will reduce the swelling.

If you have not undergone Juvederm injection yet, you can do the following to prevent swelling.

• Immediately after the injection, apply cold compress on the swollen part for the first 24 hours following the procedure. Do not directly apply the ice.

• Do this every 30 minutes while awake .

• You can also take Ibuprofen only after 24 hours after undergoing injection. Avoid taking it immediately as it may cause bruising. After 24 hours though, there should not be any problem.

Doing this should relieve the swelling faster. You can also sleep in an elevated manner. Make sure that the injection site is elevated higher than the rest of your body. Doing this will decrease swelling incidents in your lips as well as face.

Hope this helps you out.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

How to reduce swelling after lip injection with fillers?

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, the following can help:

1- Intermittent ice compresses (make sure not to apply ice directly on the skin as this can cause a skin burn)

2- Avoid salt, alcohol and exercise

3- Time is your best bet.

I hope this helps. Best wishes! (Dr. Salameh, Plastic Surgeon, Bowling Green, KY)

Bernard S. Salameh, MD
Bowling Green Physician

Yes, cold compresses can reduce swelling after lip injection

Yes, gently applying cold compresses to the lips immediately after injections and repeatedly for the first 24 hours approximately every 30 minutes, if possible, can help relieve symptoms quicker. Elevated sleeping the first night is also recommended to reduce any swelling in the face and lips. Avoid exercise too.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

Thank you for your question. Icing on and off for 15 min can help the swelling reduce. You should also avoid salt, alcohol, and exercise for a day or two, as they can make the swelling worse. Good luck!

Janet Allenby, DO
Delray Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling after Juvederm

It is common to have swelling for 2-4 days after Juvederm injections. You may use ice packs to reduce the swelling. One day after receiving injections you may take Advil or ibuprofen.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Cold compresses

Cold compresses are very effective for reducing swelling from injectables. Cold compresses for a 20 minute on,  20 minutes off rotation, 3-4 times per day is usually very effective. I would recommend contacting your injector for the regimen they recommend since there can be many variables in regard to what is effective for you.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Cold Compress to Reduce Swelling after Juverderm

Dear Lady Di:Yes cold compress does help reduce swelling from Juvederm injections of the lip.  I recommend applying the cold compress 5 minutes every 15-30 minutes for the first 1-2 days after injection and if your swelling persists after day 4, then to call in to your physician.  Hope this information helps.

Praven Chetty, MD
Kelowna Physician

Swelling after Juvederm in the lips

Thank you for your question. It is very common for the lips to look over corrected or fake the next day. I often tell my patients that this is the "oh my gosh" day. This is due to all the swelling that ensues. It may last a few days with every day showing a decrease in swelling. The more you ice the first day or two, the less swelling you will have.  I would ice every hour for 5-10 min while you are awake.

I would wait a few days to a week and then return to your injector if you still have concerns after that. If you like the look of the lips at some point during the swelling reduction, then take a picture. This way you know what volume you like in the lips for the future.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD