I'm 5'3" and 185 lbs. How close do I need to be to the goal weight before I have a Tummy Tuck, Liposuction, and Breast Lift?

I'm 5'3" and 185 pounds. My goal weight is around 130.

Planning a mommy make-over

An ideal weight for someone your height will be 120 pounds or less.
It seems likely that although overweight, you are not morbidly obese.
A lot depends on proportions and bone structure too.
If losing weight is unrealistic for you now (multiple efforts and failures), then have the mommy make-over now.
Discuss risks with your plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

How close to my goal weight should I be before I have a tummy tuck, liposuction and breast lift?

You are very wise to be concerned about your weight before undergoing this combination of procedures.  You will be investing considerable time and money achieving the improvements you are seeking.  It is great that you are taking responsibility for your part of this endeavor.  The closer you are to you're goal, the better results your surgeon can achieve.  Most people need to lose close to 20 pounds to look different.  Ideally you should be at least within 10 pounds of you're goal.  The closer however, you can come .to you're goal the better off you will be

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Ideally

during a consultation i explain to my patient the benefits, risks and limitations of a procedure. Your weigh goal may be difficult to obtain, however  I believed that the results from a tummy tuck and also a breast lift are much better if the patient loses all the possible weight. Specially because you can remove all the loose skin and usually you have a much better definition, I agree with previous comments in regards to the importance of maintaining a stable weight after the surgeries. Also is very important to understand that liposuction is not a mean of weight reduction.
Be sure to seek the opinion of a Board certified Plastic surgeon, and remember that the American Board of Plastic Surgery is the only board in plastic surgery recognized by the american board of medical specialties.
Check before and after pictures and pay special attention to the umbilical scar in the TT and the lateral view of the breast lift.

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Stable weight

The key to long standing success is to be at a stable weight. Make sure your lifestyle is such that you don't gain the weight back after if you do have surgery or you will likely be unhappy. Definitely seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with an expertise in Body Contouring and Aesthetic Breast Surgery for a consultation and more details. Good luck, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. The simple answer is yes you should be in your ideal weight. However, we don't live n an ideal world. Throughout 29 years of private practice in Miami, Fl, I have learned that the approach to a patient's weight should be practical. This means that there will be patients who can lose the weight but will have a difficult time maintaining it off. There are patients that given enough time, will NOT lose the required weight. For me it's a judgement call based on several factors to include body shape and how that is distributed in that particular patient.

There are patients who will have a great deal of visceral fat, meaning within the abdominal cavity surrounding the organs and then there are those who will have distributed externally, outside the abdominal wall. I hope this is of some help.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in tummy tucks. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Give yourself the highest percentage of a sucssesful operation. Good luck

It is not necessary to hit a target weight before a mommy makeover.

Many patients want to lose weight but don't necessarily have to achieve this before a successful mommy makeover. As a matter of fact, the aesthetic surgery can often times be a psychological boost to make further weight reduction a bit easier.

Losing weight before mommy makeover

The closer that you are to your goal weight, the better the end results will be. With that said, once you get within about 10-15 lbs, it doesn't matter quite as much. Since you are planning on losing more than 50 lbs, it would also be advisable for you to maintain your stable weight for about 6 months before having your procedure. 

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

An ideal candidate for a mommy maker is within 20 lbs. of their ideal weight.  Be sure that your goal weight is both attainable and realistic for you to maintain. Through proper diet and exercise once you have reached a plateau with your weight (even if you have not reached your goal) and have been able to maintain it for three months then it would be a good time for you to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. At that time your surgeon will be best able to evaluate if you able to proceed with surgery.

Achieving a stable, safe weight for surgery is the most important aspect.  This will also depend upon your overall goals for how you want your body to look.

Should I Be At My Ideal Weight Before A Mommy Makeover?

Dear feellikemyselfagain, In an ideal world, all of our patients would walk through our doors at their ideal weight. However, in the real world, getting to "ideal" weight can be difficult or in some cases not possible. As a general rule of thumb, we like our patients to be within 20-25 pounds of goal weight. We have found that by using this parameter, if a patient goes on to lose the rest of their excess weight, that this does not significantly alter their result. If you are continuing to lose weight with a healthy diet and exercise, then by all means continue to do so before you have surgery. If you are having trouble losing any more weight or cannot lose any weight at all, then seek a consultation with an expert mommy makeover board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Many patients can have procedures with very nice outcomes even if they are not at ideal or goal weights. Good luck.
Dr. Gervais 

Douglas L. Gervais, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon