Teardrop or Round? (Photos)

First off thank you for taking the time to read and answer. I personally don't like how my breasts look droopy and asymmetrical. Based on the pictures, do you think I should get "teardrop" or round implants? Is there a major difference between the two?

Teardrop or Round?

Based on your breast size and shape, I don't think you will be able to tell a difference between round and shaped implants. Round may be better due to lower cost. 

Need superior pole fullness

You really need fullness at the top of your breast and a round implant will do that better for you. Teardrop shaped implants sound like a good idea but really haven't taken off here in the states. I would select a round gel or saline implant. Good luck

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Teardrop or Round?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Both styles of implants will afford you a nice result, but with the degree of breast tissue you already have present I would favor a round implant.  Hope this helps.

Tear-drop shaped vs. round implant

Thank you for the question and photos.

Round implants are used in 95% of primary breast augmentation surgeries in the United States.

Round implants are often used to provide a more augmented look rather than a natural look in patients with sufficient soft tissue coverage.

If the breast has a good shape, and has enough padding under the skin for the implant, or if there is concern regarding implant pocket control and implant rotations, round implants are the first choice.

I believe your breasts have a breast shape of their own, and tear-drop shaped implants are not needed.

A tear-drop shaped or anatomical implant is used in cases where your breasts have very little breast tissue such that an adequate shape is not readily perceivable. It is also used for patients who have tuberous breasts in which the lower pole is constricted. So if you prefer a natural 45:55 upper-pole to lower-pole ratio, then you can opt for a tear-drop shaped ‘gummy bear’ implant. However, it holds the risk of implant rotation which means that within in your breast pocket, it may flip up-side down resulting in more fill distribution in the upper-pole of the breast.

All this being said, a round implant with a less cohesive filler can also provide a natural look similar to a tear-drop shaped implant. When the silicone gel is not form-stable (i.e., not viscous) it causes the upper-pole of the implant to collapse inward when inside your body resulting in a fill distribution similar to a tear-drop shaped implant.

As such, many of us surgeons just use round implants.

Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to get more information about the different choices.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Teardrop or Round?

Thank you for your question and pictures. There are pros and cons for going with round or teardrop implants. It all depends on your goals. For instance, if you are interested in more upper fullness, round implants may serve you better. Anatomical implants provide more natural look but they can shift in position and alter the breast shape. It is impossible to advise you without having an in-person consultation; however, many young and slim patients benefit more from round implants. When comes to implants placement, I recommend you going under the muscle. This approach will give you more natural look, decrease rippling of the implants, and decreases chances of developing a capsular contraction.  It is important to meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in breast augmentation and discus your goals and options. Best of luck. 

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  

Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture.  Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation- teardrop or round shape

Often times I ask my patients about their goals for breast augmentation.  Some like a real natural look and some like a rounder augmented look. Then I look at their existing breast volume and anatomy.  Then we start looking at possible implant volume or size. Crisalix 3D imaging is really helpful for this since it can give a gal an idea of what she may look like with any style, shape or size of implant. There are even virtual reality goggles that can be worn, so that you can look down and see what you may look like after augmentation. So you can see what you look like with a tear drop or a round implant.

Make sure you go to a board certified plastic surgeon with some experience. Each of these implants have little tricks for placement. We also have Breast and Body Events that our local population can attend so that they can gather information and feel the implants. Our next Breast Event is next week and we are warming up the Crisalix so people can see first hand how much fun it is.

Elisa A. Burgess, MD

Teardrop or Round?

'There are currently a wider variety of types and shapes of silicone implants than existed previously. They vary in: outer surface texture, dimensions of width and height, projection, silicone gel densities, as well as volume. The fact that there are more options is confusing to most patients, but beneficial in helping to achieve an optimal cosmetic result for each patient's particular anatomy. You will get a variety of answers to your question based on a surgeon' particular preference and experience. The vast majority of implants used in the United States are smooth round implants.

I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you  trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns at a consultation with that surgeon  in person.  

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Teardrop or round?

Thanks for your question. It is an interesting one because I am sure it will elicit many different opinions from responding doctors.  We all become comfortable with implant choices based on our professional experience and consequently make recommendations on that basis.

For breast augmentation I strongly recommend the use of mid-profile or mid-plus profile round smooth cohesive silicone gel implants for nearly all patients. The results are consistently good.  About two years ago over 200 board-certified plastic surgeons attended a conference where we electronically guessed between patients having round and anatomic or teardrop shaped implants and the accuracy was very close to 50%.  This confirms a recent study where patients under anesthesia temporarily had a teardrop and a round shaped implant placed and there was no benefit seen aesthetically for one over the other.  I do believe that teardrop shaped implants are of use in breast reconstruction or possibly some other circumstances but the risks of implant rotation are reasonably high enough that in my opinion a round implant is preferable.  I hope that this helps you in making your decision.  Best look for a happy and successful surgical outcome.  Enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. Tear drop implants do have a risk of malrotation, which round implants do not.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD