Is it normal to gain 2 or 3 pounds after breast augmentation?

I got breast implants under the muscle 3 weeks ago. I got 400cc silicone hp in the left and 475 cc silicone hp in the right. I was 142 pounds before surgery now I'm 145 pounds. Is this normal?

Absolutely. The size of your implants will add about 2 pounds themselves. You might also be retaining some fluid for the first couple of weeks. 

Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Weight Gain After Surgery?

It is completely normal for patients to gain weight after surgery.  This is usually just a temporary phenomenon where your body holds onto fluid for a few weeks after surgery.  I have had breast augmentation patients weight 10lbs more for a few weeks after surgery, so just be patient.  Remember as well that with your implant volumes, each side weighs close to 1lb, leading to 2lbs of weight gain from the implants themselves.   I hope this helps.

Some weight gain is common after surgery due to fluid retention (swelling). Also, each of your implants weights about one pound, so 2 pounds would be expected. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  It is very normal  after any type of surgery to gained a few pounds usually from fluid administration during surgery.  The implants might add 1 pound to your weight.  Continue with her normal activity and diet and your weight should return to normal.

Some weight gain might be expected as each implant will weight about one pound. Fluid shifts with swelling or a change in activity can also affect weight in the short term. Exercise and live well and all should work out fine.

Weight gain after breast augmentation

Yes, it is normal to gain some weight after breast augmentation. Your implants themselves weigh close to two pounds. Then there is the post operative swelling and water retention- both of which will gradually go away.

William H. Gorman, MD

Is it normal to gain weight after surgery for breast augmentation?

It is normal to gain temporary weight after breast augmentation due to fluid retention by your body in the early healing phase.  Of course, some weight is attributable to the implants, but most is temporary fluid retention that will dissipate over the next few weeks.

Breast augmentation

This is completely normal and should resolve over time. It is most likely due to swelling and water retention. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients and eventually the swelling will go down over the first 3 months and you should return to your normal weight give or take a pound due to the weight of the implants. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Weight after surgery

It is normal to gain a little weight after surgery. It is mostly fluid retention and will resolve on its own.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Still early

You are still in the recovery stage with swelling in your breasts and your body.

Plus the implants are adding about two pounds to your new weight.