How often can I get a micro laser peel done To obtain best results?

My esthetician said I can do them every 2 weeks but that sounds like that's not enough time? Had my first one done yesterday , trying to clear some hyper pigmentation / melasma. Thanks

Thanks you for your query. Micro laser peeling should be done at a minimum gap of 2 weeks, as this is the time   the skin takes to heal itself. For melasma and pigmentation just micro peeling is not enough, you should go in for chemical peeling along with micro laser peeling. The combined effect will be good. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Laser Peel - Time Between Treatments

Thank you for your question about Laser Peel.  The answer is, "It depends."

Not all laser peels are the same.  It depends whether it is an ablative or non-ablative laser. Is it a CO2 laser or an Erbium YAG laser? One generates more heat and downtime than the other. It also depends on the depth of the peel.

For example, if we used our Sciton Joule to perform a nano laser peel at 6 microns of depth, then the down time and the interval between treatments will be less than a micro laser peel set at 15-20 microns of depth.

Other important considerations include:

1. Melasma pigment tends to be deep and may respond better to fractional laser rather than superficial laser peel.
  2. Regardless of laser peel treatment, patients who have problems with excessive pigment should be monitored and appropriately treated for PIH, Post Inflammatory Hyper-pigmentation.
  3. Pre-treatment can be just as important as the treatment.
  4. Post-treatment can be just as important as the treatment.
  5. It is usually okay to proceed with another treatment when the redness and inflammation from the first treatment has subsided.
  6. Avoid significant sun exposure for at least 3 weeks before and 3 weeks after treatments.

To learn more or know what might best suite your needs, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have laser peel treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

MLP for pigmentation?

For qualified candidates I offer MLPs every month.  I don't think MLPs will totally solve pigment problems as pigmentation is complicated and skin with dyschromia will become resistant to treatments that are done repetitively.  You must be on skin lightening products, Retin A, and Zinc based sunscreens and avoid sun exposure at all cost.  Other treatments we offer for pigmentation, sometimes at the same time as a MLP included BBL treatments, Genesis, VI Peels, QSwitch 1064 and Microneedling with PRP.  It is important to 'mix it up' when treating pigmentation

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Microlaser peel

I usually tell my patients they can receive a microlaser peel every 4-6 weeks depending on the depth of the peel. Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

MLP spacing

I usually recommend every 4-6 weeks, depending on the type of skin you have.  At 2 weeks, that really isn't enough time to heal completely.  Also MLP is not something that you need to do year round, patients usually do a series of 3-4 treatments and they are done after that.  It is important to remember as well, that your skin becomes hypersensitive after these treatments.  Be sure to stay out of the sun, wear a hat and sunscreen at all times during treatment because it can increase the amount of hyperpigmentation that you have. With that being said, I do not know that an MLP would be my go to treatment for hyperpigmentation anyhow.  But without seeing you in person, I cannot make that determination. Good luck.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Microlaser peel and pigmentation

Microlaser peels are great for improving the overall quality of your skin, but there are better treatments for pigmentation, that being a Broad Band Light (BBL) treatment. A BBL specifically targets the pigment and vascularity in your skin to drastically improve these discolorations. If you have issues with texture, fine lines and wrinkles, combine it with a Halo treatment. These are all treatments from the same laser company, Sciton.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon