Will I lose my dimples permanently after facial liposuction? Will my face always feel firm?

I had Liposuction in lower face few days ago and 40 ccs of fat was removed. My face looks very slim right after but swelling and firmness sets in the next day. Surgeon didn't recommend compressive garments to help shape the face. When I smile my dimples are gone and also one side of my smile cuts deeply into tissues, forming a marionette line. I'm alittle worried, is my smile this way because of swelling/loose skin and are my pretty dimples lost forever? Will face feel hard forever? Thanks!

Liposuction of the face

It is very early yet after surgery. The swelling will takes 3-4 months to settle down. The swelling could be hiding your dimples at the monment.

Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Will I lose my dimples permanently after facial liposuction?

Greetings

Thank you for your question, It is very early in the healing process you will have to wait and see for the final healing process.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Losing dimples after facial liposuction

Thank you for asking about your facial liposuction.

• Swelling is normal after any surgery including liposuction -
  • It will take weeks for firmness to subside and months for skin to feel totall normal.
  • Swelling is a natural part of healing - there is little to do but wait it out.
  • A garment will not affect your final result and facial garments are very bothersome - most surgeons avoid them.
  • If you feel you are healing poorly, return to your surgeon to be checked.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Still too ealry

It is very early in the healing process.
it is unlikely that your dimples will disappear long term.
the firmness will soften but it may take several
months.

Loss Of Dimples After Facial Liposuction

Thank you for posting your questions. Cheek dimples are actually imperfections of the facial muscles that are considered unique and highly desirable! When someone smiles, the facial muscles contract and you can see your dimple. At rest, you cannot see your dimples. Liposuction of the facial fat is superficial or above these facial muscles, so they should return. You only had this liposuction procedure 5 days ago and the swelling certainly has not resolved.  I recommend that you follow up with your plastic surgeon who performed this procedure for reassurance during this early post operative procedure. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

I suggest lymphatic massage and venus legacy treatments when I do lower face liposuction.  But again this is up to your provider.  I also have all my patients wear garments and get hyperbaric oxygen a few times.  The results will not be fully evident for 3-6 months.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Missing Dimples

Thank you for the question. Liposuction in any area causes swelling, and this takes months to fade, which it will do gradually. Right now, I think you are not far enough out to worry. I recommend massages of the lipo sites, done a couple of times a day, directed backwards, towards the ears;  this will certainly help the firmness, and your dimples will likely return once the swollen tissues settle down. As to whether using a head wrap or "chin strap" would help, I do give these to my face/neck lipo patients,  but it is admittedly difficult to get effective compression of the cheeks regardless. For now, head elevation and ice packs should help. Check with your surgeon on the timetable for beginning to massage your face.
Good luck to you.

James H. Scheu, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon