Have any surgeons considered using Liposuction as a treatment approach for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome?
Doctor Answers 5
Liposuction to treat PCOS
PCOS has many variants. The signs and symptoms of PCOS range from hirsutism to body weight gain and hormonal and ovulatory irregularities.
Following the RPCOS with a certified endocrinologist and/or gynecologist is critical. The subcutaneous fat gain that can be associated with PCOS and other endocrine systems can respond to liposuction, however, the improvement will be in figure, shape and form, but not in decrease in the hormonal irregularities associated with the syndrome. Liposuction and PCOS just as in diabetes or patients with hypertension can improve contour and shape, but should not be viewed as a weight loss technique and certainly not one that would correct any hormonal imbalances.
I applaud you for your weight loss and attention to exercise and dietary management is critical and liposuction should be used only for shaping where necessary.
I hope this information is of some assistance and best of luck.
To find out more, please visit the link below.
R. Stephen Mulholland, M.D.
Certified Plastic Surgeon
PCOS and Liposuction
You might also like...
Liposuction for polycystic ovarian syndrome
- There are several variants of PCOS - one is associated with excess weight.
- PCOS can be treated - e.g. with metformin, birth control pills and other medication.
- It is a complex hormonal disorder - I can find nothing suggesting that fat cells hormonal release is the cause of PCOS but perhaps that is the case.
- Liposuction can remove fat cells in areas of weight gain. It changes proportions, but is not for weight loss.
- You will find many stories of PCOS weight loss on Pinterest - you might some of them helpful.
- It has been my observation that many women who are overweight and have PCOS are consuming too many calories often in the form of sodas and other drinks - or are drinking a lot of diet soda.
- Diet soda is well known to disrupt insulin metabolism and make it harder to lose ewight.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.