Jackson Pratt placed to drain out Hematoma? How long should the drain be kept in?

I had a third surgery to surgically evacuate a minor hematoma. I woke with a Jackson Pratt drain. I specifically asked for NO DRAINS. The visible bruising is still there. The last time that I had a surgery to clear out a minor hematoma two weeks ago the bruise completely went away after he irrigated the pocket. What are my chances of an infection? Does it sound like the pocket was not irrigated and that he only put in the drain? How long should the drain be kept in? I do NOT want an infection.

Post Op Drains

Your Plastic Surgeon will want to see that you are draining a set, minimal amount consistently before removing. Times for this will vary and depend on your body and serous fluid output. I recommend that you follow up with your Plastic Surgeon to ask specific questions as they know your situation the best.

Take care

JP drain and hematoma

Thank you for your question. JP drains are not placed to remove bruising and are not placed to drain blood. Your JP drain is placed to remove the inflammatory fluid or seroma that often results after the evacuation  of a hematoma and that decision is often made in the operating room and not before surgery. When removed in an appropriate time window there will be a minimal risk of infection. We look for certain volumes of output to guide drain removal. Best of luck.

Bruce Landon, MD

How long should the drain be kept in?

This is a very good question and ultimately will depend on clinical judgement as to how the drain is working and when it has served its purpose. You are right in that a drain can let fluid out, but there is a risk of letting bacteria in so we would feel your surgeon will keep it in place no longer than necessary.

Jp drain after minor hematoma

Thank you for your question.  Your PS must have felt it necessary to place a drain because he or she wouldn't put one in if it's not necessary.  They are usually in from a few days to a week depending on your output.  

Chad Robbins, MD

Soon

Most post breast surgical drains are removed in a few days.  Drains do not cause infections when placed for the appropriate reasons.
We don't like to put drains in unless absolutely necessary.  I never feel bad placing drains if I deem necessary.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS