What happens if a filler like Bellafill were to melt after a procedure like a full radio frequency needling procedure?

I would agree with others in that the depth of penetration for the RF treatment is not deep enough to adversely impact the Bellafill. Having said that I am not a huge fan of the RF treatments as a whole as the results seem to be very inconsistent. 

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill and RF treatments

Thank you for the question. As others have pointed out, the placement of the Bellafill will make it very unlikely that the product would be affected by the heat from an RF treatment (e.g., Infini). Bellafill is placed deep in the skin, while the Infini treatment is generally in the area of 2.5 to 1mm in depth. In my practice, I use a combination of Infini and Bellafill for acne scarring. Generally I do the Infini first, with three to five sessions about six to eight weeks apart. Then I do Bellafill for any residual contour issues. This combination works great.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should not be a problem

As others have said, Bellafill is placed deep below the skin.  Even if RF energy were to heat the PMMA molecules, most experience has shown us that this only amplifies the collagen building effect and will not damage the results.

Guy Cappuccino, MD
Mount Airy Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill and Radio Frequency, Ultrasound and Microneedling Treatments

Very few of the skin treatments, including IPL, ultrasound, radiofrequency and microneedling penetrate deep enough to have any effect on fillers.  Some injectors worry about Bellafill because of the PMMA beads but again they are very deep compared to the normal energy penetration of most, if not all skin treatment devices.  I have many Bellafill patients who have had these types of treatments after their injections with no ill effects.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Will RF Needling Melt BellaFill--No--Works Well Together--See an Expert

I do Bellafill with lasers/RF treatments all the time. The RF machines/lasers won't melt Bellafill and they work well together in combination. Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Bellafill is safe with lasers and RF

The melting point for Bellafill is 160 degrees C. Lasers get to about 100C and RF gets to 45-70C depending on the device. As you can see, neither is hot enough to melt the PMMA in Bellafill. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD