What is the difference and what is the best laser- Halo or Profractional?

If my goal is to reduce fine lines & pores, and to help with uneven pigmentation, what laser treatment is best? I've not been able to find/read much on Halo, which makes me feel as though it's not the holy grail it was introduced as. Thank you

Halo or Profractional

That's a great question. These lasers are made by the same company, and the Halo (ablative 2940 and non-ablative 1470 together) is the second-generation version of the Profractional (only ablative 2940). There has been more buzz building around the Halo recently, as more clinical data is available.

I like them both, but the Halo makes more sense for the problems that you are describing. There is much less downtime with the Halo - you can put makeup on and get back to work (as I've done!).

I used to automatically reach for my Profractional for treating scars, but now offer my patients the choice of a few Profractional treatments with downtime, or a short series with the Halo but without much social downtime.

Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Halo versus Profractional

The Halo has two laser 2940 and 1470. The profractional only has 2940.  The Halo is the first ever laser to have 2 wavelengths in one handpiece. This treatment can reduce fine lines, pore size, sun damage and pigmentation. It's a great system to allow us to customize a treatment that will tend to your needs and wants.

Robert G. Aycock, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Difference between Halo and Profractional

I have both systems and love them both.  Halo is a hybrid laser system that combines 1470 and 2940 laser energy.  Profractional is pure 2940 laser energy.  Halo as a system addresses pigmentation, pore size, texture and early fine lines as well as mild acne scarring and does this in a manner that results in very tolerable amount of down time.   Profractional is my go to laser for all scarring whether it be acne or injury induced as well as for skin tightening on appropriate skin types.  As this can go very deep into skin, there is more downtime but more dramatic results for those who need this depth of treatment.. 

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Halo vs Profractional

The Halo laser is cutting edge; however, it is an expensive laser and is just starting to be spread across the country. While profractional can provide excellent results, halo has advantages for the treatment of sun damage that profractional can not match.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Halo Treatment

Our practice has both lasers and based on the concerns you have listed you sound like a good candidate for the Halo.   It addresses all the concerns you have listed with very little downtime.  It would be best to consult with a provider that has multiple options to get a true recommendation on the laser best suited to address your concerns.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon