Is it possible to cut out a lump of scar tissue?

I have a lump of scar tissue from surgery on my head. It's pressing against a nerve and causing a lot of pain. I've tried ice, tylenol, massage, and a procedure called radiofrequency ablation, but nothing helped. Is it possible to remove this lump surgically?

It may be possible to resect and/or revise a thick or lumpy scar.  The scar will not be completely gone but it could be improved. If the scar is attached to a cut nerve (neuroma), this can be removed with the surgery and may also help alleviate the pain.  Seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area, who performs scar revision surgery.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Scar and Surgery -- You Can Do Surgery, Steroids/5fu

I suggest speaking to a cosmetic dermatologist who specializes in scars and posting photos so that you can get a valid opinion on treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Scar and Surgery

Depending on the type of scar, you may need to have the scar removed.  Perhaps cortisone injections and a different laser such as Fraxel can remedy your condition. 

Is it possible to cut out lump of scar tissue?

It sometimes is possible to surgically remove a lump of scar tissue.  You would need to be examined to determine if you might be a good candidate for this procedure for the lump on your head.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon