Can you reopen an old scar to close it better? (photos)

I've had bunion and hammertoe surgery a long time ago and was wondering if I can reopen the scar and have it closed better. When I had surgery I kept picking the scab causing it to not heal property. Is this procedure ideal? If so, what would it be called? I am aware the scars will never fully go away but it would help if it were less visible. Thank you.

Can you reopen an old scar to close it better?

Thank you for your question. The answer to your question depends on the scar’s appearance. Some scars can be re-excised and resutured to achieve a better cosmetic outcome. Also another option is using the Fraxel laser to safely remove and resurface the scars on your foot. Laser therapy is an efficient procedure to improve the tone, texture and color of scars. This is a non-invasive procedure that has no downtime, which can be used on all skin types. A board certified Dermatologist can determine the correct laser settings to treat your skin, to avoid the effects of hyperpigmentation. These treatments are performed four weeks apart, and optimal results are visible within 6-8 weeks.

Scar Revision on Toes

Scars are difficult to treat.  The area has very little skin and pulls very easily.  Unfortunately there is little to do to revise the scar in this area.

Scars on toes

Unfortunately once the skin is incised there is a permanent scar. Incisions on the toes and forefoot are difficult areas to get revision scar improvement under these circumstances.