Why are the brackets on my braces placed so high near my gums? (photos)

Yesterday, I got braces on for the 2nd time. I wore braces for 3 years, got them taken off for 3 weeks, and then got them on again by another ortho. I am concerned with the high placement of the brackets. I find the look a little unattractive. These braces are supposed to correct my bite, move my midline, and close a small gap between my front two teeth. Also, there is a temporary tooth on my right side. I will have an implant in the future. What is the purpose of having highly placed brackets?

Orthodontics and Brackets

The brackets are placed on the tooth in a certain location with the intention of moving the teeth in a certain way.  Call the orthodontist and go in to discuss your concern.  The doctor is going to be able to tell you the reasoning!

Best thing to do is to ask your doctor

I agree that this placement of brackets is less attractive then having them centered on the like usual.  Although I don't know your doctor's reasoning, I suspect it is this.  There is a trend in the profession to place the upper incisor brackets a little higher than typical in order to help bring these teeth a little further down.  This can help create a "smile arc" where edge of these teeth follow the lower lip.  If you don't already have it, this may be an attempt to make it happen.  I would certainly ask you doctor.  I hope this helps.

Doug Depew, DMD
Atlanta Orthodontist