Breastfeeding after breast augmentation?

Is there scientific evidence that implants have a negative effect on being able to breastfeed? Does the milk production happen without any problem? I'm referring to cases where the areola remains unharmed and the implant was inserted from under the breast. Does the position of the implant have an impact? Many thanks.

Are there negatives to breastfeeding with implants?

Many of my patients have breast augmentation prior to having children and go onto successfully breastfeed their babies.  Most women that are unable to breast feed would have that problem with or without implants.  Generally, I do an inframammary approach and place the implants subpectoral (under the muscle) as to not interfere.  Be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in person for the best outcome.  Good luck!

Breast Implants and breast feeding

Thank you for your question.The scientific literature is not excellent on the subject but I do not know of any specific causality of breast implants and inability to breast feed. With a periareolar incision some of the milk ducts would be transected and this could possibly affect breast feeding.  With inframammary fold, axillary, and umbilical incisions the milk ducts should not be injured and the position of the implant either under the muscle or breast gland should also not result in damage to the milk production. It is important to keep in mind that some women without any breast surgery at all ultimately are not successful with breast feeding for a variety of reasons.Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Breast implants and breast feeding

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • Virtually any breast surgery can negatively affect your ability to breast feed.
  • The studies show that most women (more than 70%) after breast augmentation, like most women without breast augmentation can breast feed.
  • But about 10% fewer will breast feed and if so, the length of time they breast feed will be about 10% shorter.
  • It may be that breast implant patients are as a group slightly less able to breast feed and that it is unrelated to their surgery.
  • The position of the implant does not appear to have an effect on breast feeding.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FAC

Breastfeeding and BA

No I do not believe there is scientific evidence of any major negative effects from implants regarding breastfeeding. The negative effects that are present would be the risk of disconnecting the milk duct from the nipple. From my experience more than 90% of women are able to breast feed after breast augmentation. Your chances are better when precautions are taken such as avoiding the periareola incision (we want to completely avoid the risk of losing nipple sensation) and placing the implant under the muscle, away from the glands (Although, even placing the implant in a subglandular position will not cause problems for most). When becoming pregnant after breast augmentation, know that your breast will grow like normal during this time. After the baby and breastfeeding, breasts will sag like they normally do. You may need a revision with a lift if this happens.
Best regards

Traci Temmen, MD

Breast Feeding Post Breast Augmentation

There is no scientific evidence that supports any negative effects for breast feeding moms with implants. You should not have any difficulty breast feeding post breast augmentation. I do prefer to place the implants in the subpectoral position with an infammamory incision, it is my belief that this helps preserve breast sensation and helps reduce any problems with breast feeding  .

Breastfeeding after breast augmentation surgery

In most cases, breast augmentation surgery will not interfere with breastfeeding because milk ducts are generally not disturbed during the procedure. When implants are placed through an incision made around the areola, milk ducts are sometimes disrupted, which may affect breastfeeding. However, not all women are naturally able to breastfeed, whether or not they have cosmetic breast surgery. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Feeding

Implants placed through this route and partway under the muscle should have no effect on milk ducts/breastfeeding. If a woman would have been able to breast feed before BA she should be able to after as well. I recommend that you talk about risks and considerations with your Plastic Surgeon prior to surgery.
All the best

Breast Feeding After Breast Augmentation #breastaugmentation

• Breast implants placed through an incision under the breast, or through the armpit, should not interfere with breast feeding.  
  • Additionally, by having implants placed in the dual plane position, under the muscle, plastic surgeons can assure that even less breast tissue is distrubed vs. an incision around the areola. 
  • Do understand though, that some women even without implants cannot breastfeed successfully for various reasons. 

Loss or diminished ability to breast-feed is a known risk of all types of breast surgery.  Overall, the vast majority of patients who undergo breast augmentation surgery will be able to breast-feed.  Best wishes.