How long will it take for tummy tuck wound separation to heal? (photos)

I do not smoke, I eat pretty well, and am 39 years old. I am 5 weeks post tummy tuck and lipo. At two weeks I had wound separation. I understand it happens to about 20% of patients due to blood flow issues. I've seen my surgeon once a week since then. He has debrided the opening twice. I'm doing wet to dry gauze several times a day. I'm just curious how often this occurs and how long it will take to close up. Also, how do I know it's actually healing? The wound is 4 inches in length and 1 inch wide.

Time to heal a tummy tuck wound

20% is a very high percentage.  There are ways to get the risk well under 1%.  In either case, once the wound is there, it will need proper care to keep it clean and allow it to heal.  Expect it to take about 6 weeks.  You will know it is healing as the tissue becomes all pink throughout, which it will with dressing changes and a little wound care.  Then it will gradually fill in and close.  The scar may or may not require a revision once it is completely healed.   Good luck.  

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Time to heal wound post tt

It is hard to tell from the photo you provided, but I would say that a few weeks of debridement and wound care and then maybe you can either have a secondary closure procedure or it will take time to heal secondarily which would be about 4-6 weeks by the size of the wound. 

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

How long will it take for tummy tuck wound separation to heal?

Sorry for the wound necrosis. Most case in the amount of necrosis takes a few months to heal completely...You should be seeing 3-d shrinkage of the deformity.  

Wound healing

Thank you for your pictures.  The percentage of in healthy individuals in my opinion and in my practice is definitely less than 20%. It's probably less than 5%. Sounds like a surgeon is doing all the right things. You can tell if it's healing when the measurements continue to get smaller.