Chemical Peel Vs. Laser Peel for Uneven Hispanic Skin Tone and Spots?

I have Olive (Medium) skin, and I am hispanic. My face has an uneven skin tone. I have white spots and dark spots. I've never had any procedures done to my face, but I am confused about what procedure would be the most effective for me. Which between Chemical Peel and Laser Peel should I go for? I don't want to end up with major pigmentation issues because of my skin type.

Doctor Answers 4

Chemical peel vs. laser for uneven skin tone and spots.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You ought to consider seeking consultation with a dermatologist to diagnose your skin conditions before undergoing any procedure. White spots and dark spots on the face have many potential causes. If for example the white spots are related to an inflammatory skin condition, a chemical peel or laser treatment may not be beneficial and might even worsen your condition.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Darker Skin and Best Treatment

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical Peels are much safer than lasers with darker skin.  I would definitely consult a board certified dermatologist to analyze your skin and determine what is the best treatment for your pigmentation.  Best, Dr. Green

Non-ablative fractional laser resurfacing is best for uneven skin tone and brown spots

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical peels and ablative laser peels often cause dark pigmentation called hyperpigmentation when used on patients with dark skin.

The newer fractional non-ablative 1540 Erbium laser skin resurfacing is much safer for dark skin and will remove pigmented spots.

Be aware that 3-4 sessions will be necessary but there is little or no downtime.

Carefully search for a doctor who has experience treating dark skin with lasers - there are very few.

Don't focus on the peel type yet, instead select the doctor carefully

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Chemical or Laser:

Uneven skin pigmentation is a common concern with many causes and many treatments. Your doctor should be someone who is experienced treating those conditions. Stick with physicians (dermatology or plastic surgery) rather than medi-spas or primary care doctors. Your heritage and complexion means that some common treatments (intense pulsed light) may not be suitable for you.

After evaluation and diagnosis, your doctor may start with a skin care program in which you regularly apply specific products. Hydroquinone helps reduce hyperpigmentation. Retin-A and glycolic acid products can help. We have good success with the Obagi product

Some types of lasers or chemical peels may be beneficial for you, but I would start with other methods first.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.