Uneven Cheeks - What Are my Treatment Options?

my cheeks are uneven, is there any possibility of making them look more symmetrical? my cheeks have been like this since birth, my parents thought that when i'l grow up, they'll even out. But now am 20, and the right cheek is much fuller than the left one.

Doctor Answers 7

Uneven cheeks - treatment options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Besides surgery, fillers or fat are worth an attempt. Seek 3 opinions from boarded plastic surgeons and derms. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. B

Fillers are your best option to create more cheek symmetry at age 20

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In improving facial aesthetics you have two options:

1)  Fix the underling problem
2)  Camouflage the problem

  In your case, it would be difficult to actually change the underlining bony asymmetries in your face causing your issues.  I would suggest using hyaluranic acid fillers, Restylane or Juvederm, to create a more symmetric and pleasing appearance.  The fillers can camouflage your natural asymmetry.  At a young age of 20, I would not recommend undergoing a surgical procedure.  I would try a non-surgical fillers first as I believe you should be able to get the result you aspire.  

Fillers typically cost between 400-650 a syringe, and you may need between 1-4 syringes.

I hope this helps.

Uneven cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The face has many asymmetries and the cheeks are just one of the asymmetrical features that can occur. Everyone’s face has some degree of asymmetry, some worse than others. A single cheek implant can be placed on the cheek that needs the augmentation to make it fit and balance with the opposite cheek. An incision is placed in the subgingival sulcus and this type of surgery is done under brief general anesthesia and it is important to be able to match the weak-sided cheek to the preexisting larger cheek area.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Treating Uneven Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my experience, the use of filling material such as Juvederm can be utilized to camoflage differences between one side of the face and the other. However as you probably recognize, nobody is perfectly symmetrical and there will always be difference in the bone structure, soft tissue and muscles on one side of face as compared to the other.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Facial symmetry can be improved

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Cheek asymmetry can be improved.  Most people have some asymmetry to their face on close observation.  Depending on the degree of size difference between the cheeks, treatment options may include injectable fillers, fat transfer or solid implants.  I never promise exact symmetry to my patients but substantial correction is possible from an experienced surgeon.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 24 reviews

Uneven Cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Perfect symmetry is never a goal, but significant differences can be improved. Choices for treatment include fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, and Radiesse, liposculpture with your own fat, or the placement of a solid silicone implant. Augmenttion of the small side is usually easier than reduction of the larger cheek.  

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

One might be abele to enhance the cheek with an injectable filler

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For some people a little soft tissue filler will allow one to even out the size of their cheeks.  In some situation a silicone implant might be a better choice and in other cases an osteotomy might be better to reduce the prominent side.  An examination with a plastic surgeon might be better able to assist you. 

Charles Perry, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.