42 yr old, female. My neck skin has started to sag. Will Ultherapy fix it? If not, what procedure would best suit me? (photo)

I went to a dermatology office who told me that I should get Ultherapy to fix my neck. Is it possible that this would fix the sagging skin? Or would I be better off consulting a plastic surgeon? I have always been very good about putting on products with retinol in them. So my skin is still pretty healthy, with the exception of the sagging on my neck.

Skin

Ultherapy would be a great choice for tightening your skin. It's very important to find a skillful, experienced provider for treatment.

Ultherapy for the Aging Neck

Ultherapy is a great option for the treatment of your submental skin laxity.  In our practice we recommend a medical grade skin care regimen to be used 6 weeks prior to Ultherapy treatment.  We also recommend 1540 non-ablative fraxel laser to help promote collagen and prepare the skin for the Ultherapy procedure.  We have seen better skin contraction and tightening when the area is pre treated with these modalities.  The results from an Ultherapy treatment work in a two-step process. The first stage is the contraction and denaturing of collagen, which causes an immediate tissue tightening, and resultant lift. The second stage occurs over time while the body’s healing response builds new collagen (neocollagenesis). New collagen production is generated over 2-3 months and often continues for 6 months after the treatment. Full results are visible after 3 to 6 months.

Laurie A. Casas, MD, FACS

Solutions For Sagging Neck Skin

Combination treatments always work best for the neck area, and it's important to have realistic expectations about what non-surgical treatments can do. Ultherapy can improve the sagging neck skin, especially under your chin, but it will not completely fix it by itself. The results will be subtle, and multiple treatments may be needed. ThermiTight is another option which offers more dramatic results with a single treatment. For the horizontal neck lines fillers are an option, but results will last 6 months to 1 year. Please see an experienced physician who offers multiple treatments to address your concerns. Hope this helps.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Sagging Skin Solutions--VASER, ThermiRF, Ultherapy

I recommend a combination. Ultherapy works well with other treatments for best results. In my practice we do VASER and ThermiRF in combination with ultherapy to get neck lifting and tightening.  Please see an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer.

Ultherapy with Filler for neck lines

Thank you for your question and for sharing appropriate pictures. You seem to be a good candidate for Ultherapy and Juvederm for filling the lines on your neck.This combination should give you great results. Ultherapy will tighten the skin, but not address the lines that appear on necks sometimes with age. Make sure you're working with a board certified expert injector. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

NECK SAGGING

based on your pictures, the biggest concern is the deep horizontal creases and not the platysmal banding or skin excess or laxity. Ulthera may improve the mild skin laxity but won't help the horizontal creases and I don't think anything will as these are habitual and at this point not easily reversed. I recommend office consultation with a facial plastic surgeon.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ultherapy for the Neck

Ultherapy is a focused ultrasound based soft tissue tightener.  You will likely see some result, but the question is whether it will be enough for you. The photo shows very platysmal banding and skin laxity; some degree of tightening may be seen with Ultherapy, but the platysmal banding will remain. At 42, you are an early surgical candidate so it isn't unreasonable to consider Ultherapy as a first step.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

42 yr old, female. My neck skin has started to sag. Will Ultherapy fix it? If not, what procedure would best suit me?

I offer Ulthera (but not everyone sees results - may need 2 to 3 treatments) and also laser-assisted neck lipo (Precision TX - which has much better result). See a plastic surgeon who can offer more than one option. 

See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Ultherapy for the neck and lower face

ultherapy is not for everyone, but if you are looking to avoid surgery, then it is the next best thing.  I would recommend full lower face and neck treatment if you were to proceed with ultherapy based on your pictures.  It is not a wow for all patients.  But all will state there is a difference.  There is a simulator on the ultherapy website you may want to consider using.  If it doesn't show you what you were hoping for, then skip out on the treatment.  For my patients the simulator has been pretty accurate.  Good luck with your quest!

Fixing your neck

I am not personally impressed with the results from Ulthera, even in the company provided results which are obviously the best they've got. I have done many facelifts on patients who had tried Ulthera but found it to be costly, very painful and ultimately to have not produced enough benefit.