Ultherapy or Fractora?

Can someone tell me the difference between Ultherapy and Fractora? I am looking to tighten my jaw line and slight jowls. I don't have any wrinkles. I am 48.

Ultherapy Versus Fractora Versus Thermage

Fractora is a radiofrequency device and Ultherapy is an ultrasound device. My recommendation to all my patients who are RF treatments is Thermage. I recommend seeing a cosmetic dermatologist for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Ultherapy vs Fractora

Thanks for your question. The two devices you mention use different energies to generate a thermal injury- which then stimulates neocollagenesis (new collagen formation). Ultherapy uses microfocused ultrasound which can be delivered superficially (for surface smoothing-1.5 mm) or deeper 3 to 4.5 mm for lifting such as the jawline/under chin region you mention. Fractora uses radiofrequency and produces a fractional (partial) tissue ablation. This starts at the surface layer of the skin or close to it (they have coated tips which try to skip the surface layer, because one cannot "focus" RF energy the way we focus ultrasound energy, RF works through bulk heating...). 

You mention not having wrinkles. I would say Fractora is more geared towards surface/textural concerns like wrinkles but that it not to say you couldn't get some tightening. A consultation is really needed to answer your question for you specifically. Ultherapy as I mentioned is very good at lifting.

A big consideration will be downtime. Ultherapy focuses below the surface layer of the skin, so downtime is often none in terms of anything visible on the surface though occasionally there can be a small bruise. Fractora will often leave visible marks on the surface for a period of time. If possible go to an office which offers both, or obtain two separate consults. I would also expect that Fractora will require sun avoidance for a period of time, but Ultherapy does not. This may be a consideration since you are in Florida.

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician