How to measure "up to 24%" reduction from Sculpsure?

I got a fairly high quote for 12 Sculpsure frames/leg to address inner and outer thighs and banana roll. Since currently an off-label use, no before/after photos are available. Trying to figure out how to gauge whether the potential reduction is worth the cost, but I have no idea how to visualize what a potential 24% reduction in fat on my thighs would look like. If not measured in weight loss or inches, any tips on how to estimate and manage my expectations. Thanks.

24% marketing and 25 minutes SculpSure

The 24/25 figure by Cynosure is marketing. Yes, it can reduce fat in the abode and flanks by up to 24%, but your point is a great question. The answer is that we CAN NOT demonstrate the actual fat reduction with a percentage using every day office tools. Ultrasound and CT examinations can clinically prove this. 

I have had ONE Sculpsure treatment to my abdomen in Feb. , I measure how good it is by dropping 1.5 sizes from my waist. 

At Fiori, we use 3 methods to gauge improvement- 1. Photos  2. Girth measurement 3. Callipers. 

NOTE- thigh area if off label, in some cases you may need more than one Sculpsure session to get your desired outcome. 

All the best

Dr Davin Lim 
Fiori Institute of Body Contouring
Brisbane, Australia. 

SculpSure is a new procedure

SculpSure was brought onto the market place in November, 2015.  It is the world's first laser FDA indicated for non surgical fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks.  It is being used as "off label" in other areas of the body including thighs, calves, arms, back, bra line, male chest/breast and banana roll.  The results are coming in as we speak!  If you are undecided about the treatment, I would wait another 3-6 months until the doctors using the machine have more experience in these off label areas with before and after photographs and evaluation using the "pinch test" to measure the amount of fat reduction.  You don't need to be a guinea pig if you don't want, just be patient and re-evaluate, I am confident that you will not be disappointed.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How do we know about 24% fat reduction with SculpSure?

Hi erf,

Thank you for your question.  The 24% fat reduction is an average of all the patients treated in a clinical trial for FDA approval.  This means that some people will lose more and some less.  This is true of any treatment.  Many people are using the device "off label", but the science behind how SculpSure reduces fat will not change based on location.  The only thing to consider is how well the frames are attached to your body.  There may need to be some changes to the frames or head piece to make it work best in certain parts of the body.  The best thing you can do is go to someone you can trust for your treatment.  Consider going to another plastic surgeon for a second opinion.  This will help ease your concerns and manage your expectations.

Hope that helps.

Dr. B

Sculpsure, Coolsculpting, Vanquish

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.
The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.
The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.
The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.
It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.
If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of her patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.
I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

How do you measure 24%?

Thank you for your question. It's true - because SculpSure is being used off label in the areas you mentioned, there hasn't really been enough time to gauge how you will look after treatment. However, this should be changing over the next couple of months as the procedure gains in popularity (because it really does work so well), and physicians start to gather more data. 

SculpSure works best if you are at your ideal weight, or within 10-20 lbs. If heavier than that, I would suggest other methods - either diet and exercise, or traditional liposuction. Because, you're also right - the treatment is not cheap. For my patients who have really stubborn areas of fat and a lot of it in certain areas, I will offer them traditional power-assisted liposuction. But, that's a surgery (obviously), and not everyone wants to go through the recovery process, take time off from their lives, and wear compression garments. 

However, if you're weight is constant, or you're at or near your ideal rate, then grab the areas in question - inner thighs, for example - and give them a squeeze. What you gather in between your fingers is the fat - now just picture this a quarter less. If you are satisfied with that, then SculpSure is the treatment for you! I do tell patients who may have a bit more adiposity and who want a more sculpted treatment that they will require two treatments (essentially a 50% reduction in fat in that area). Or, as I mentioned, I'll offer the option of traditional liposuction. 

Best of luck in making your decision! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Smithtown Plastic Surgeon

How to measure 24% reduction from Sculpsure

Thank you for your question. That is a great question. Thighs are the most popular area besides the abdomen and flanks. We have before and after photos of the thighs. In addition to the photos, I tell patients to pinch the area they want treated and approximately a quarter of the fat between their fingers is what they can expect to lose. We are also seeing some improvement in cellulite with SculpSure