How long must I wear sports bra after breast augmentation while I am sleeping and when I am working out?

When can i wear underwired and push up bras? Now i am 11 weeks after surgery, i cant ask my doctor, in my country(smaller country in Europe actually) doctors are different for communication with patients , thats why i must inform like this about everything . Thanks you so much in advance and best regards!

Post Op Bra Support

Thank you for your question. Most Plastic Surgeons will ask that you avoid wearing underwire for at least 2 months post op and choose a soft, supportive bra. Many surgeons supply a surgical bra. I advise my patients to continue long term support by wearing a soft bra at night on an ongoing basis.

All the best

A professionally manufacture post surgical bra. Avoid underwire bras for three months. 

breast exercises are helpful in allowing the implant to settle into a more supple envelope. I think about 3 months of breast exercises are sufficient. The only contraindication to breast exercises is when textured anatomical implants are used. 

Best of luck!!

Breast augmentation

Ultimately, this is up to your plastic surgeon. I would recommend discussing their post operative protocols with you so you have a clear understanding. Every plastic surgeon will have slightly different aftercare instructions which work for them and their patients. Generally, by 7 weeks I tell my patients they can stop wearing a bra if they like and can also start wearing bra’s with underwire after 6 weeks. Best of luck in your recovery. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Support Bra

Thank you for your question. As previously stated by the surgeon's below, you should obtain the advice of your board certified plastic surgeon.  Each board certified plastic surgeon will have his / her own opinion on post-operative care.  I advise most of my patients to wear a support bra without wire for 1 month after surgery and no underwire bra for 2 months. Best of luck with your recovery.  

Rafi S. Bidros, MD, FACS

Bra and implants

Every surgeon is a bit different and you should ask yours what he prefers for your post-op care and when you can start to wear an underwire bra.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

How long must I wear sports bra after breast augmentation

Each surgeon will have a different opinion on this.  I have my patients wear a well supportive underwire bra beginning immediately after the surgery.  They wear that or a non-underwire bra at night.  At one month when they start more vigorous exercise I have them wear a sports bra.  At this time they can wear a push bra or go braless if they so desire but I recommend that they wear  the underwire bra the majority of the time.  Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Bra after breast augmentation

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. 

In my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.  

Generally, the longer I have been in practice, the more I appreciate the long term use of supportive bras after all types of breast surgery. This additional support may be especially helpful when patients are lying down and/or engaged in strenuous exercise.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.