How long does it take for bloating to go away after breast augmentation?

I am very fit and athletic. I went into surgery weighing 119 lbs with very defined abs. I am 6 weeks post op from breast augmentation and my lower abdomen still looks bloated and feels swollen. Is this normal 6 weeks out and what is the normal range for abdominal swelling? I started going to the gym last week, week 5 but am only doing low impact cardio (elliptical) and lower body exercises such as squats.I love my augmentation results but the bloated feeling / look is driving me crazy.

Post Op Concerns

Often bloating related to surgery/post op medication will resolve within the first two weeks. I recommend that you see your family doctor to discuss your concerns and look into other causes.
All the best

Swelling after surgery

You are probably turning the corner so to speak as the swelling often diminishes during this time period but could last 4-6 months or longer.

Breast surgery post op

Most post op bloating is due to the side effect of narcotic pain medication. This usually resolves shortly after pain meds stopped and I assume you stopped pain meds within a week or so of the surgery. You need to check in with your family doctor if this continues. Good luck.

Breast augmentation - bloating after surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • It is unusual to be so bloating so long after surgery.
  • If it hasn't begun to improve after another week, first have your surgeon check you -
  • Than seen your regular doctor - occassionally surgery will uncover a new problem - 
  • For instance, low thyroid or a menstrual problem can cause bloating and are common in your women.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS