What are the best & most inexpensive options to reduce scarring post BCC MOHs - flap? (photo)

I had MOHs done in May 2012. Three reconstructive surgeries later.... I'm struggling with the scarring. I have a large raised scar on my forehead, a scar across the bridge of my nose and along each side. The dr. did an excellent job trying to hide scars in the facial planes, but unfortunately there is symmetry lost, scarring, puffiness and what seems to be a quite larger sized nose in my opinion. I would like advice on my best and most inexpensive options. thank you

Doctor Answers 3

Scar revision after Mohs surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many different treatments of unsighlty post op scars, I would suggest you discuss options with a plastic surgeon.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Reducing scarring post Mohs surgery and flap

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It sounds like you had a extensive skin cancer on your nose requiring a forehead flap to help cover the area the skin cancer occupied. These flaps often do heal with some puffiness and often need revision. Often times these forehead flaps can be trimmed during revision surgery to help reduce the puffiness and size of the flap. Other options include laser resurfacing and if there are any focal areas of increased scar tissue, local steroid injections. Best to follow back up with your Mohs surgeon to discuss.

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Improve Scarring after Reconstructive Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Your best options is to meet with the surgeon who did the repair and tell him/her about your concerns. Based on your description (asymmetry, puffiness, larger nose), your best option is likely for another surgical procedure or revision of the scar. Topical medications and lasers may help soften or improve fine scars or dilated blood vessels, but when there is asymmetry or size or shape problems the best option is to have a revisional surgery. These types of surgeries are not unusual especially for particularly large defects or difficult repairs. Speak to the surgeon. Good luck.

Andrew Kaufman, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.