Will 2nd Bone Graft Take?

I lost a front tooth 6 months ago X-ray showed absolutely nothing below the gum line just a dark triangle - no root. Probably due to a bike vs car bumper accident 50 some years ago.. I had braces on all my teeth at that time. I had the extraction and a bone graft, and the graft failed to take. I am a week out from a 2nd attempt. Is it worth the discomfort, or should I just go get a bridge? Everyone tells me to try for the implant, but I cannot go through this again.

An Attempt at a Second Graft for an Extracted Tooth...

Rose, if a graft after an extraction failed, we need to find out what occurred during the surgical procedure.  There possibly could have been a fracture of the facial plate of bone.  This could have caused the graft not to take along with 50 more other reasons.  It might be wise to get a CBCT scan before proceding and ask for a second opinion.  Good luck and please let us know how things turn out. 

New York Dentist

Will 2nd bone graft take

Ask the surgeon who did the first graft what he thinks the odds are of the 2nd graft taking. He was in the site and saw the exact architecture, and can make an educated guess. In most cases it should take.  Good luck

Leonard Tau, DMD
Philadelphia Dentist

Dental Bone Grafting

It sounds like you had a "socket preservation" bone graft.  This basicly involves filling an extractoin socket with bone at the time of extraction.  the graft is usually  covered with some form of collagen dressing to protect the graft and sutures.  Is extremely rare for a socket preservation "not to take"  Im not sure what type of procedure was done or what type of specialist performed the procedure or even what type of grafting material was used.  An extraction and socket preservation graft usually does not cause much discomfort at all, but everyone is different.IF the grafting was more involved there may be more discomfort.  Ultimately you will most likely be happy with an implant restoration.  Talk to the surgeon who performed the procedure and ask his opinion.

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Will 2nd Bone Graft Take

Ask the surgeon who did the first graft what he thinks the odds are of the 2nd graft taking. He was in the site and saw the exact architecture, and can make an educated guess.