Tretinoin cream vs. Ultherapy on a 30 year old male?

I am a 30-year old male. My goal is to look 5 years younger. I have been trying Tretinoin cream for a month now. It did improve my skin. I know I have to keep using it for 9 months to see improvement in colleagon and elastin. I am wondering while I am using it, can i still get ultherapy. Will I see better and quick improvement from ultherapy?

Tretinoin cream vs. Ultherapy

Tretinoin is the gold standard for prescription topical agents to reverse aging in the skin.  It is definitely something you can use in addition to getting an Ultherapy treatment.  Ultherapy works on the muscle and collagen layers to induce them to thicken and tighten.  Tretinoin works from the outside in, so to speak and is a long-term treatment vs. a one time treatment.  Thank you for your question.

Ultherapy- texture, tone and volume

To look younger and keep a natural look, one has to balance texture, tone and volume. A picture will be helpful, as we can guide you accordingly. 

Ultherapy is always going to outperform creams when it comes to collagen tightening. If skin laxity is an issue, yes, certainly Ultherapy can be the treatment of choice, however the best improvements are seen 3-6 months after this procedure. 

Fillers such as Juvederm on the other hand can give you an immediate improvement. Once again, a tailored approach will give you the best results, that look natural.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Tretinoin Cream and Ultherapy

Hi and thank you for your question!

Retinol in a great product for people to use, even in their 20's and 30's for prevention and treatment of collagen loss. As far as Ultherapy, without a picture its hard to say if you would benefit from this. It would likely be more preventative for you, unless you have early skin laxity. You can definitely combine the use of Retinol with an Ultherapy treatment. It would be best to stop the retinol for a few days, to minimize any irritation or peeling.

Another suggestion, if you're basically trying to stimulate collagen, is a resurfacing laser. You might look into a Halo or Venus Viva. We treat our patients with these for more superficial improvements in skin texture and brightening.

Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD

Facial Aging and Lasers like Fraxel/Clear + Brilliant, RF like VIVA, Peels, Fillers, Skin Care, Face Lift, Fat Injections

Please post photos for further evaluation. Ultherapy is focused ultrasound that is used at different depths to help wrinkles and skin tightening.  It is typically combined with skin care, lasers, microneedling and fillers.    I suggest a formal consultaiton with an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.

Tretinoin cream versus Ultherapy on 30 year old

It would be unusual for a 30 year old person to be a good candidate for Ultherapy.  The procedure primarily helps to lift and tighten when someone has some laxity of the skin. Most people who are 30 would not have much degree of laxity.  An examination of you would really be needed to determine if you might be a candidate for Ultherapy or not.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon