Is it normal to feel that my breasts are too small after a breast reduction? (Photos)

I am 1 day post breast reduction surgery and can't help feeling that they are too small. Most people report that due to swelling their breasts are still too big, is it possible for them to get bigger/shaplier as they heal and settle or will they get even smaller? I was a 38 DDD prior to surgery covered by OHIP

You will be fine

It's too early for you to say; however, most patients who undergo breast reduction have a hard time adjusting to the smaller breasts they get post surgery.  You have to wait at least 6 months to see if you like the final result.  Speak to your surgeon about it.

"Too Small" 1 Day After Breast Reduction

I ask all my patients what their ideal cup size would be and do my best (within the constraints imposed by insurance) to deliver that result.  So, I hope you had the same discussion with your Plastic Surgeon.  You have had a certain body image for many, many years.  You have become accustomed to seeing yourself a certain way.  This procedure causes a MAJOR CHANGE in body image for the patient.  So it often takes some time to get used to the new you.  This is not an uncommon phenomenon.

Try to relax through the healing process and share your concerns with your surgeon. 

Is it normal to feel that my breasts are too small after a breast reduction?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure. Yes, it is quite common for patients feel that their breasts are "too small" or "too big" immediately after surgery.   For example, the surgical bra can be compressive leading to a  "flattening effect" and patient impression that the breasts are too small.

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

At this point, I would suggest: rest, recovery, and (although easier said than done) patience. 

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.