Is it normal for one nipple to be lower than the other? (photos)

I just realised that one of my nipples is lower than the other. Is this due to one breast being saggier or just genetics? And is this normal? Also are my breasts sagging?

What is normal for breasts?

Actually more women have breasts that are slightly different in appearance and or size than women that have completely symmetrical breasts. Some women noticed this as the breasts are initially growing and others notice that this occurs as the breasts, age over the years of adulthood.

Is it normal for one nipple to be lower than the other?

It is absolutely normal that women's breasts are somewhat asymmetrical. We are fond of saying that they are sisters not twins. This is an important observation to make before a routine breast augmentation. If breasts are asymmetrical going into surgery, without a specific procedure such as a lift to address the difference, one should expect them to be somewhat different after surgery as well.

Yes, it is completely normal for one breast to be lower than the other. Often they are not the same size. It is quite less common for breast to be completely symmetrical.

Breast asymmetry

Thank you for your question.  It is completely normal for your breasts to not be perfectly symmetric.  You have very nice youthful appearing breasts without any significant signs of sagging.  You should be pleased with your breasts!

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Nearly all women have some degree of asymmetry between their breasts, whether in size, shape, nipple position, areolar size, etc.  Yours are very similar in appearance and do not show any signs of sagging.  Hope this helps.

Asymmetry

Thank you for your question. No one is perfectly symmetric. I suspect the difference in the height of your nipples was present pre-operatively. Its normal for one nipple to sit slightly higher or lower than the other. Breast augmentation magnifies these slight differences. 

John L. Clayton, MD, PhD, MPH
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Nipple position

It is quite common for one nipple to be higher than the other.  This is normal asymmetry. Implants only magnify the differences.  

Very similar

Without measurements it is difficult to tell if there are any subtle asymmetries. Having said that, based on the pictures you have posted, it seems as though the breasts are overall quite similar. It is important to understand that most women's two breasts have differences in volume, shape and nipple position.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula 

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry?

Dear Christie,

Your breasts are nearly perfectly symmetric, unlike a great majority of women, and would represent a boastful after result for any of us.  Don't obsess over your extremely minor asymmetry, it's perfectly normal.

One nipple lower than the other - is this normal?

Thank you for asking about your breast asymmetry.

• Your photo shows that your breasts are perfectly normal.
  • The two sides of our bodies do not match perfectly
  • Every women has some slight asymmetry of her breasts.
  • So if everything otherwise is ok - no worries and enjoy your day!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD