I'm 12 days post breast augmentation. Should I still be sleeping on my back?

Sleeping

The following is what I recommend for my patients.Continue to sleep on your back for another 12 weeks. If you sleep on your side after 12 weeks, please wear a bra at night. This will support your breasts and maintain your implants centered on your nipples. Do not sleep on your stomach, this will cause your breast implants to go into your armpits. Hope this helps.

Sleeping position after breast augmentation

I suggest my patients sleep on their back or sides for the first month. Those positions are the least likely to cause a change in your surgical pocket and therefore keep your implants in proper position. 

If if your were to sleep on your stomach, you could force the implants to move laterally. If that happens, when you lay on your back, the implants will fall too far to the sides. 

Good of luck and thank you. 

Julian Gordon, MD

Sleeping and implants

You should ask your surgeon which position is ok for you to sleep. I don't mind lying on one's side or on their back initially. Gradually they can turn over on their stomach.

Sleeping on your back? some advices:

Thanks for the question. I recommend to sleep on your back of at least 2 more weeks. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Respectfully, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Sleeping position

With this question, I can only tell you what I would tell my patients. We tell them that if they're gonna sleep in any position other than on their back for the first few weeks to hug a very large and fluffy pillow to take direct pressure off of the newly placed breast implant. I would go with what your surgeon recommends. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Sleeping position following breast augmentation

I think you will find a wide variety of answers following this question.  Most surgeons will recommend 2-4 weeks of not sleeping on your stomach, but will allow you to sleep on your side following breast augmentation as long as supportive garment is worn.  Postoperative discomfort may not allow you to sleep on your stomach for a few months following breast augmentation.  As opinions and practices vary, I would recommend talking with your plastic surgeon before changing sleeping positions.  
For more information on breast augmentation recovery, please visit the link below.

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Sleeping on back

Typically after 1 week our patients are allowed to sleep in any position other than on their stomach. You should check with your plastic surgeon as to their recommendations.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  I allow patients to sleep in any position, except on their stomach, as long as they are wearing a supportive garment, but each surgeon will have their own specific recommendations.  Talk to yours about timing and position requirements after surgery.

Post op

Every surgeon has their own recommendations following surgery. Sleeping on your back is ideal for the first two weeks to ensure there is no lateral pressure on the implants. I would also recommend a support garmebt at night. I  recommend my patients were abroad night for up to 12 weeks. Check with your PS to ensure you are following their post surgical plans 

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Post op sleeping position

Since every surgeon has his or her own unique post op protocol, you need to discuss this with your surgeon. I typically have my patients sleep in their backs with the knees supported for the first two weeks. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD